feather pen makers please read

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I am trying to make alist of members that make feather pens or make feather blanks.
I would also like to know an average price you charge for them so feel free to PM me that info if you do not want to list it. I recently joined a group that may be a big market for them. i woudl like to have the ability to intelligently forward customers to those that make these pens.

on a side note I may also have a source for a huge variety of feathers. I have a plan but this project I am going to do for profit. For those that have an idea of how many different feathers a pheasant can produce. think about the variety you would get from 58 varieties of pheasants.

Finally, I am working on being able to supply quality Jungle **** Eyes, Nails and spades. If having these available is of interest to you please contact me to be placed on a list for them. i will make a list on a first come first serve basis as i have no expectation I can fill the demand. please make all request for Jungle **** feathers via E-mail or PM I will make the list from E-mail responces and then PM's in that order and notify you when I am able to fill requests. For now I will add to expect prices ranging from 80 cents to $1.00 per Jungle **** Eye depending on quality. I also expect to cull feathers for Select quality with prices for those being determined on a per feather basis. I expect most of those to go to the Museum Quality fly tying community for about $5.00 per feather though.

Just a bit of background story to all this. I ahve recently been trying to buy a couple of Jungle Fowl that produce the Jungle **** feathers. in the process I found a huge community of ornamental bird breeders. I am in the process of finding out just what price range will make it worth while for them to gather and mail feathers to me. in short the variety could become staggering. SInce these people also have a high probability of interest in memorializing some of there birds. I am also telling them about the feather pens made here. this group has a membership of over 30,000 breeders. I see at least a potential for a feather pen explosion.

Recent events have forced me to consider other sources of income. I am looking at this situation in that regard as well. I hate to go for profit with this group after all the work I have put into the group buy sort of stuff. But in short this project is going to be a lot like have a second job, in fact I took today off my regular job just to work on it. So anyway I am looking to make a list of not only those intersted in feathers when I can get them, but those that are interested in making them into pens if I find customers for them.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Just an update as to this project, yep this is another one for everyone to watch. so we can just go ahead and title this one "Daniel's Drama 2010" or something like that. Anyone that was around for the Leather pen case group buys will get that joke. I made an offer on the bird breeders group of $100 for 300 Jungle Fowl feathers. I did not even get a sniff. I think they are wondering if I am joking. That or they really don't have any to send because their are not a lot of those birds around. Soooooo I have decided to buy my own. I placed a pre order for the spring hatch to buy a 5 month plus old Juvenile male and will be looking for two females for breeding pourposes. It took a while to find but I managed to locate some top quality and highly recommended bloodlines. At this rate I will not even get the bird until september and it will not molt it's feathers until spring a year from now. In the even I manage to breed ony of these I may, and I say may, end up with some whole necks. I say that because bad things happen when you are breeding animals and there are always losses. That and their life expectancy is nat huge, only a few years.
On anouther note. I have received offers from two members with a large selection of birds to simply gather up a wide sample of what feathers they can get. I have also e-mailed one person that keeps over 50 varieties of ornamental pheasants but have not heard back from them yet. will keep you posted. the real growing season for chickens does not start for anouther month or two with the main action in June. I may have a lot more luck getting people interested in selling feathers when they are in the middle of slaughtering chickens. Right now they are focused on getting thier breeding stock to lay furtile eggs not on having them die. Any losses right now are pretty devistating and it is not really appropriate to jump in on a thread asking for the birds skin when they are saying ooh my poor favorite breeder was killed last night.
short of buying a farm and raising one of everything myslef, I have not yet found the formula to get these feathers. i will though, I will. As a matter of fact the whole farm thing is sounding pretty good right now.i love raising animals. the killing part I have never been to big on though.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Let me know, I've become quite involved as of late my self in some "feather turning". I think JohnU is still the pheasant master when it comes to blank creation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom