Feather Blank and Character Building

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jonjon

Among the blanks that I received for winning the Youth 14-17 year old contest last year was a very nice sierra feather blank. I finally built up the courage to have a go at it. Everything was going great when the "character moment" as my dad would call it occurred. Right at the very end of the blank a bit of feather poked through. :rolleyes:

Other than that, it turned out wonderfully. It could be covered by the clip, but that is another one of those character things of not passing off to others something I would not be happy with myself.

I can see how the feather blanks would be easier on a little meatier pen. The sierras get pretty thin at the end.

It was good practice though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Some of my favorite pens are "not quite up to snuff." But, they are still fine in their own right.

Kenny Durrant

Like Curly mentioned seal it with C.A. That should keep anything from penetrating the blank through the feather. That should give you piece of mind as far as the integrity goes. If the appearance isn't bad or noticeable then like you said hide it under the clip and do whatever you ant with the pen. I look at it the same as a flaw in wood. If you can fill it with wood dust or whatever to fix the problem then your good to go if your pleased with the looks of the pen.

rd_ab_penman

Among the blanks that I received for winning the Youth 14-17 year old contest last year was a very nice sierra feather blank. I finally built up the courage to have a go at it. Everything was going great when the "character moment" as my dad would call it occurred. Right at the very end of the blank a bit of feather poked through. :rolleyes:

Other than that, it turned out wonderfully. It could be covered by the clip, but that is another one of those character things of not passing off to others something I would not be happy with myself.

I can see how the feather blanks would be easier on a little meatier pen. The sierras get pretty thin at the end.

It was good practice though.

Got a photo of the feather pen?

Les

MTViper

Like Ed says, make it your carry pen. That's the way we get to keep some of the beauties we make. I hate having pens bought out of my pocket, but it's happened more than once.

Top Bottom