Favorite Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know what is everybody's favorite wood(s) overall? I think it is interesting to see the different opinions. Mine personally is amboyna for shine and great look, along with desert ironwood. What's everybody else's favorite?

fishlux

Either Apple or Honeylocust. Both turn and finish well, are plentiful locally and are pretty. They're also "different" enough that most people haven't seen them.

Lux

les-smith

Anything curly. I love curly. Curly is the theme of my collection of self made pens. I love Aspen for it's smell, Camphor smeels good too. But, my all time favorite beats em' all is any wicked burly deep dark brown Walnut.

Slyotter

favorite wood(s)

Pretty much any rosewood, and tulipwood....Aisian satinwood and koa as well!

Jerry

bgibb42

I absolutely love maple. It turns easily, finishes easily, stains well, dyes well, and any curly or quilted varieties almost always have stunning grain that's mesmerizing to look at.

USAFVET98

I have to say Masur Birch is my favorite! From the coloring to the grain patterns.

Attachments

• Masur20Birch20007.jpg
    Masur20Birch20007.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 158

papaturner

If it`s wood I love it. They all are unique and have their own characteristics.
Even the bland and common woods are great in their own special way. I`ll always be a wood man.:biggrin:

Grizz

Banned
For pens. I love Spalted Curly Mango. Hard to find though.

For bowls and vases, Spalted Maple. Have to get a little luck in finding or creating.

For Furniture, Mahogany or cherry.

For burning, anything that is a hard wood and plain.

jimbob91577

Favorite wood for spindle turning - Straight Grained Maple, Straight Grained Cherry
Favorite wood for pen turning - Amboyna Burl, Buckeye Burl, Maple Burl
Favorite wood for bowl turning - Russian Olive, Spalted Maple
Favorite wood for flat work - toss-up: Quilted/Curly/Figured Maple, Mahogany, Oak
Favorite smelling wood: Olive, Cinnamon, Amboyna
Also ran's: Horisties Burl, Mallee Burl, Black Walnut Burl, Olive Burl, Box Elder, maple burl, oak burl, cocobolo, padauk, holly, buckeye

Least Favorite List:
Materials that stink (literally): Antler, Ebony, Zebrawood, Acrylic
Hardest Materials To Turn: Horisties Burl, Alabaster , Balsa (seems to bend and flex really easily, which invariably causes the skew to make spirals or kindling), Lignum Vitae, Ebony

FWIW - I have one customer, who every year, orders 2-3 Antler pens for various people. "She loves how pretty it is". These are the only Antler pens I make anymore, and I dread early November when she calls me to order them because I can't stand the way it smells.

I've only turned, or attempted to turn, alabaster once. I couldn't get it to stay together, pieces would continuously crumble off of it. I imagine that putting it in a pressure pot with some form of glue or something would help...but I don't have that setup at this time.

Rick_G

Just about any burl, maple or walnut crotch wood. I've got some maple crotch wood that puts some burls I have seen to shame. Oh and especially free wood that has been saved from the firewood pile.

David Keller

Any burl, cross-cut spalted hackberry, and desert ironwood.

Best single blank I ever turned was chinaberry burl... cream and pale yellow and full of colorful bark inclusions. Somebody gave it to me, and I've never seen another one.

JakeAB

1. Any wood I haven't tried yet (it's the journey, more so than the destination).
2. Any wood where my first attempt was less than stellar (I love a challenge).
3. Wood. Did I mention I love wood?

avbill

so many species of wood

Desert Ironwood, Ambrosia, burl Masur Birch, Colobolo, Mallee Burl, Buckeye Burl, Curly Koa, Curly Mango, Mesquite Burl, Bethlehem Olive wood

three are my 10 favorite:biggrin:

Top Bottom