Favorite "Wedding Pen"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MoJo

I've finally been able to get back to turning after learning to tile & remodeling our bathrooms for the last couple of years. Too bad I don't get paid by the hour. I made these over the last few weeks. I wish I had remembered about painting the blanks & tubes before making my first acrylic pen. The pens with the yellow are made with wood a friend cut from the root of a fallen Koa tree he found in Hawaii. (is root wood common?)

Anyway... my son is getting married this summer & I thought I might make a few pens for the guest books. I've done a bit of searching and, right now, my favorite is a cast rice Sierra made by Broitblat (who must live very close to me).

I would appreciate comments on what y'all like. Do you have a favorite? What are your preferences? Fountain pens look awesome but I'm not sure if they are reliable enough or, possibly too messy?? Laser engrave or not?

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe

Attachments

• 20100130_Amboyna-Pair-2.JPG
    20100130_Amboyna-Pair-2.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 20100130_KoaRoot-Ray-Pair.JPG
    20100130_KoaRoot-Ray-Pair.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 20100130_Acrylic-1.JPG
    20100130_Acrylic-1.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

This one was done several years ago for my sons wedding. They used it for the guest book. Some people had trouble with it since it was a fountain pen. If I did it again I would use a rollerball. This is alternate ivory on a Jr. Emperor with laser engraving from Kallenshaan Woods and a matching box.

Attachments

• Wedding Pen Enhanced.jpg
    Wedding Pen Enhanced.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Wedding Pen Box.jpg
    Wedding Pen Box.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 218

PaulSF

You use that for the guest book, any of them, and I guarantee, they'll end up in someone's pocket real fast. I know I'd pocket them, they are beeeyooteeefull.

MoJo

Beautiful pen Bruce. Did Kallenshaan Woods do the gold coloring of the lettering and the black for the picture of the church? The box is a great idea too.
- Joe

David Keller

Nice looking pens... Love the feel of a cigar pen.

As for a wedding pen, I would avoid the fountain unless this is a very upscale wedding... rollerball all the way. I would either pick something fairly neutral and timeless... the alt ivory is beautiful... or match the bride's chosen colors.

MoJo

Thanks guys. I thought about matching the bride's colors so I asked about that last night. Their colors are green, blue, yellow, orange and pink. No purple. Looks like I'll go with the "timeless" look.

Ed - did you cast the base? ...and did you leave the clip off the pen cap?

Thanks!
Joe

broitblat

Joe,

I'm sure other have had other experiences, but I'd suggest a ballpoint for the guest book or, if a roller ball, integrate the cap into a base to reduce the likelihood of it getting lost.

I got a good reaction from the rice pen, but I also like holly, white pearl acrylic, alternative ivory, or corian.

And, yeah, I can't be too far away. I work on the North side of Bellevue and live on the South side.

-Barry

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks guys. I thought about matching the bride's colors so I asked about that last night. Their colors are green, blue, yellow, orange and pink. No purple. Looks like I'll go with the "timeless" look.

Ed - did you cast the base? ...and did you leave the clip off the pen cap?

Thanks!
Joe

No, the base is an acrylic slab. When I import this material, it is in "sheets", so I cut some for this purpose, it is available on "Exotics". I think there IS a clip on the pen, but you make a good point--why not leave it off??? There was a very short peg of white acrylic mounted to the slab, to hold the cap in place as shown.

MoJo

Pens in Rainbow Disco Wedding Colors

Unbelievable but I found blanks on Ed's www.ExoticBlanks.com site in the colors selected for my son's wedding. They are "Rainbow Disco". Not very traditional but very much like the bride & groom (no, they are not hippies...).

I had only turned one poly pen prior to this. Everyone's comments regarding sharp tools were spot on. This was also my first Zen pen. The Schmidt rollerball writes great.

Attachments

• 20100313_0283-small.jpg
    20100313_0283-small.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 127

ttcanuck

My son got married last October and I made a couple of Canadiana pens wrapped in Olive wood from Australia and some Olive root as well. They used the pens to sign the marriage certificates.

Attachments

• Olive Wedding Set.jpg
    Olive Wedding Set.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Olive Wedding Set 2.jpg
    Olive Wedding Set 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 141

PaulDoug

I'm old fashion and when I think wedding I think white. Your pens are very nice and I pick the first ones for the prude and groom. For the guest book... is it white? This is what I did for my Daughter's wedding guest book. It went over very well.

Attachments

• Pen 14 Amy wedding pen.jpg
    Pen 14 Amy wedding pen.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

MoJo

I agree - A "traditional" wedding pen was what I had in mind when I started this thread. Something white with their names laser engraved. It took a while but I finally realized that is not what they wanted. I'm still tempted to do a traditional pen as a keepsake.

You've all made beautiful wedding pens and I truly appreciate the input.

- Joe

Dai Sensei

Here's some of my old ones. The glass plate is a photo holder for a picture of the bride and groom. The black one was used just 2 weeks ago for my nephew's wedding :wink:

Attachments

• feather pens 1.jpg
    feather pens 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 130
  • feather pen 9.JPG
    feather pen 9.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 118
  • wedding pen in use.jpg
    wedding pen in use.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 121

Tim'sTurnings

Hey MoJo, great looking pens. But I don't see the Sierra you mentioned. The Sierras I have have a one piece body. Am I missing something? That pen on the end, is that rice in the resin? I like it.

Tim

Rick_G

For the young ladies in our church I usually have them go to my website and pick a style. They have chosen anything from an ultra cigar to a baron fountain pen. I then usually make it in white and have it engraved with their names and the date of the wedding. The engraving makes it less likely to disappear and also makes it more meaningful years later. Sometimes they prefer their wedding colours, my DIL wanted wedding colours for her best friend so I made a pink swirl baron for her and a grey baron for him.

jttheclockman

this was posted a while back and I like the traditional white.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58422&referrerid=5155

I picked up a couple of the acrylic blanks of 'snow' from woodcraft last time I was allowed to shop, havn't turned them yet. Got a great friend getting married in October, that I'm doing a pen for.

Thanks for showing those again Mark. They would make a nice traditional wedding pen and you are going to like the results with that blank. Be careful when drilling it. I blew one out and it actually was my fault. I did not have the backer piece of wood lined up properly under the blank as I was drilling it. Was able to use it for the top blank on the cigar though because it is shorter.

MoJo

Hey MoJo, great looking pens. But I don't see the Sierra you mentioned. The Sierras I have have a one piece body. Am I missing something? That pen on the end, is that rice in the resin? I like it.

Tim

Tim - Sorry for the confusion. When I started this thread I referenced a Sierra pen made by Broitblat where he used cast white rice which looked great and went well with the wedding theme. I never made one. My wife & son finally made me realize they were not interested in a traditional pen. After I learned their wedding colors were red, orange, yellow, green and blue I found the rainbow disco blanks. I also searched for a pen that was a little different. The ZEN seemed to be a good choice with its magnetic cap (the kids think that is pretty cool) and it writes beautifully with the Schmidt rollerball (they will be used for the guest books). My son guarantees us that the wedding will be most unusual.

Seeing everyones beautiful traditional pens has convinced me that I need to make a nice, white Majestic FP with a nice box. If nothing else, I can save it for their 25th anniversary...

Rick_G

I wouldn't worry about the traditional white. If they would prefer something in their wedding colours go with that. Here are the ones I made for friends recently in their wedding colours as per DIL. They loved them.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom