Favorite smelling wood (or other material) to turn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Mine favorite shop scent used to be BOW. Now, it is PR. It doesn't smell as good as BOW, but I appreciate the free "buzz" :).

When you think about it, Maker's Mark costs $40 a half gallon, PR costs $40 a GALLON. Same buzz, same headache, and you still get to sell the pen with PR:)

Last edited:

robutacion

Mine favorite shop scent used to be BOW. Now, it is PR. It doesn't smell as good as BOW, but I appreciate the free "buzz" :).

When you think about it, Maker's Mark costs $40 a half gallon, PR costs $40 a GALLON. Same buzz, same headache, and you still get to sell the pen with PR:)

Good grief...!:eek: that is really cheap, I pay twice that much for the same product and quantity, and I don't get any buzz...!:mad::frown: I have to use chemical mask with PR...!:frown:

Cheers
George

bad

By far my favourite is roasted maple. To see how it is roasted follow this link:
http://www.mectorrefaction.com/
I have a supply of this stuff and the local hardwood store sells it. I've never turned sassafras, sandlewood, cinnamon or camphor. If anyone wants to trade for some roasted maple then please send me a pm.

greggas

Not sure which is my favorite but yellowheart smell like Ganja ( always have to run up and tell the kids not to inhale:)) most Trustone smells like bluberries, DI burl smell like crap, love olivewood, Black Locust burl smells like Pizza and coffee bean blanks prob are the fav for me

IPD_Mrs

Amboyna is one of my favorites. Mike likes that one and the Olive burls (I don't like olives so do not care for those smells.)

Us.

Tage

I turned some peach the other night.....smelled great.
I like amboyna burl too.

OOPS

Several of you mentioned Sandalwood. One earlier listed Tambootie, which is also sometimes spelled Tamboti. Regardless of the spelling, this is African Sandalwood. Its my favorite to turn from a scent standpoint. Merely drilling the blank can fill the shop with a pleasant aroma.

Drstrangefart

I'm glad one other person pointed out the Bloodwood scent. My favorite so far. I haven't turned too many different materials yet, but Bloodwood is my all around favorite in almost all departments. I wish Purple Heart smelled that good when turning.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I guess no ones likes the "wet dog" aroma from turning zebrawood?

I wouldn't have said 'wet dog' ... dog something, for sure. But not
wet dog.
I love the smell of freshly made shellac. Camphor laurel. Most cedars.
The Band-Aid smell of amboyna. Kingwood and cocobolo make me
stuffy for 3-4 days after sanding, but I love them both. Eucalyptus
and lignum vitae are fresh and invigorating. NC lacquer smells like
banana oil to me. And let's not forget the lovely aroma of ozone after
you drop your screwdriver in the power supply and realize you forgot to
unplug something..

toddlajoie

Bloodwood/African Blackwood (they are very similar to me...) would have been the top of my list a month or so ago, but I just turned some Bolivian Rosewood, and it just blew my nose off... I would consider just throwing a piece on the late and turning it all away just to fill the garage with that scent if I have to work out there for the day.... Sweet and spicy!! Now I need to see how I can finish the pen and keep it smelling like this...

Top Bottom