Favorite sites/threads/tutorials for beginning pen turners?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Recently, I've had 4-5 people approach me wanting to learn how to make pens.

The ones that are local to me are welcome to come to my place for a free hands-on demo (which is exactly how I learned).

But several of them are folks that live on the other side of my state and know me via North Carolina hobby site.

So, does anyone have a favorite "Penturning 101", especially sites/tutorials that discuss all the various "MUST HAVE" items (like.....lathe, grinder, chisels, etc).

I did browse this site and didn't see anything, but that may be my fault for missing it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steeler fan1

There are tons of videos on youtube, just do a search on pen turning. PSI has a free dvd available, just go to there web site and order it. Other vendors do as well. Not sure but I think Ed at Exotics might have something. Check the library here as well.

There are resources virtuely (sorry 'bout the pun) everywhere.

Happy hunting.
Carl

D.Oliver

I learned a lot from Don Ward's site (www.redriverpens.com). It isn't penturning 101 but it has a lot of slimline modifcations with is what a lot a people start with for a kit. Russ Fairfield's site should be a good one (www.woodturnerruss.com) and I also used this one (http://www.kevinsbrady.net/pen.html) when I first started turning pens. You can also get a free DVD from PSI on turning pens or at least you could about a year ago.

redfishsc

Derek, that Kevinsbrady.net site is EXACTLY what I was talking about, and the other two links I bookmarked. Russ's page is one of the most useful pages I've ever seen, I can't tell you how many hours I've spend looking over his tutorials. He is missed around here.

Lenny

I learned a lot from Don Ward's site (www.redriverpens.com). It isn't penturning 101 but it has a lot of slimline modifcations with is what a lot a people start with for a kit. Russ Fairfield's site should be a good one (www.woodturnerruss.com) and I also used this one (http://www.kevinsbrady.net/pen.html) when I first started turning pens. You can also get a free DVD from PSI on turning pens or at least you could about a year ago.

:good:
Great places to start ... and come back to often! :)

Top Bottom