Favorite Pen to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am a new turner and love turning new types of pens. I am interested in what other people's favorite pends to turn are and why. My favorite is the American Roller Ball style pen from Woodcraft. I like it because it has a bigger tube which is easier to work with and the final product is stunning. What does everyone like to turn and why? include a picture if you'd like!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lanejustin

My favorite Pen I own (not that I've turned myself yet, my dad gave my wife and I a pen set for our wedding) is the Ultra Cigar Ballpoint with Gold and Chrome accents.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I like Euros from WC. And also bolt action bullet pens from pen state. Looking to turn Majestic in a few days.

If you like Euros then try the Designer pen from Pen State. I believe it is a much much easier pen to make and I feel like it looks nice too.
What's easier? I've always thought they were the same thing.

I like Euros from WC. And also bolt action bullet pens from pen state. Looking to turn Majestic in a few days.

If you like Euros then try the Designer pen from Pen State. I believe it is a much much easier pen to make and I feel like it looks nice too.
What's easier? I've always thought they were the same thing.

I think it might of been me with the European pens, but they never seemed to work for me. the double bushings to make the tenon and the shaping size of the top piece, I always found it more complicated.

ossaguy

I enjoy making Zen pens the most.Shows off a nice blank,and it's such a clean design.Love the magnetic cap & the facets on the end of the cap when they reflect light.

Easy to make,too!

Steve

Joe Burns

I have 4 or 5 that I habitually turn. I have three favorites that I favor at the moment.

Zen - One single longer barrel shows of the blanks. Easy to turn and I really like the magnetic cap.

Bolt Action - Single barrel. easy to turn. Attracts a lot of attention.

Jr. Gent II - sold more of these than any other. Im trending towards the Jr. Statesman and Jr. Majestic though.

Joe

jbswearingen

I don't have a favorite pen to turn. For me, they're all nothing more than a tube of brass stuck in a block of wood, acrylic, or whatever I'm turning.

I'll turn whatever somebody asks for, basically.

jcm71

-1 on the PSI Designers. The transmission slips around the upper barrel when extending the refill. Had it happen on several I've made. I won't try to sell them because of that design flaw, and I'll never order them again.

But to get back to the subject, I get more satisfaction out of turning a high quality double blank kit. Jr. Gent II, Nouveau Sceptre, Art Deco, Majestic Jr. and Optimus Desire come immediately to mind.

76winger

I like the bigger pens myself, Noveau Sceptre in particular, Majestics, Art Decos, Apollo Infinity. I also like the Designer Rollerballs and FPs which are more challenging than the ballpoints. Sierra Elegant Beauty is a great single body pen as is the PSI Executives.

Kenny Durrant

To me turning is turning. I enjoy putting blanks together and watching it shape and turn into something unique and usefull. That being said I like the slimlines because they are easy to carry and the sierras because I can put more "stuff" in the blanks.

walshjp17

I enjoy turning bigger pens like a few others here. Cigars, Churchill (note the avatar photo) and Titans have been what I've turned most. Trying out some others shortly -- Jr. Gents, Gents, Majestics, Noveau Scepters just to see how they fare.

ianjwebster

I don't like a lot of 'bling' so I favor Baron / Sedona / Vail from Earnie at Bear Tooth Woods or Jr Gent type. Personally I'm not a fan of the single barrel type pens - too much of somebody elses handywork on display rather than showing off my turning skills (or lack there of!!)

I like the Jr Gent 2 and Retro pens. I like most of the 12.5 10.5 kits. The Atrax and Triton are also nice. I like this sized pen also. They show more of the wood or other blanks. I have turned a few Cigars lately too and like them because you can showcase your blanks on them also.

Tom T

The tenon is great fun. I taper mine a little toward the seating end.
That way I sneak up on it. A little CA glue and good to go.
My parting tool is also the correct width to cut it.
When I do the cut I have to use a jeweler glasses to see it close enough. Also a good light.
I'll give those Penn State ones a shot.

beck3906

Favorite pen to turn?

There's a difference between what I want for my self and what I turn to sell. I'll turn anything that I think I can sell. My offerings may increase this spring as there are number of new styles I want to try.

Favorite pen to turn?

There's a difference between what I want for my self and what I turn to sell. I'll turn anything that I think I can sell. My offerings may increase this spring as there are number of new styles I want to try.

I wish I was at that point. My dad has been bugging me about when I am going to start selling pens. I have over 30 made and just need a place to put them out and sell.

Top Bottom