Favorite pen kit to make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I would like to explore new pen kits and was wondering what is your favorite kit to work with? I turn slimlines all the time and bought my first cigar kit today. It just looks like a more husky type pen.I'll see when I get to turn it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

My new favorite are cigars.They go together easy and show off a great-looking blank.I found that it's super important to not accidently trim the brass tube when squaring the ends on the long tube,or the pen tip will come out too far/not retract in enough.There is no wiggle room,unlike slimlines where you can adjust the depth that the tranny gets pressed in.

Steve

eldee

CSUSA Jr's are reasonable to turn and assemble and make nice pens. Euros look decent and work well if you are dealing with smaller blanks.

corian king

I can't say I really have a favorite.I like to explore all different types.But the slimlines have always been my bread and butter at the shows.at 20.00 to 30.00 each depending on material.And we always sell a ton of them.But if I had to say I have favorite finished pen.it would be either be a Majaestic or the septure.These are really nice looking pens.Just a little on the large size.
JIM

thewishman

Cigars are my favorites, too. Just like Steve said - shows off the material and they are more forgiving than most other kits, The parts match up in a way that has a bit of tolerance for not-perfectly-matching barrels. Plus, they are inexpensive to make and come in a large variety of platings.

edfarmer67

my favorite pen to carry is the 50 bmg pen, or any bullet style pen.
its the redneck in me that just loves bullet pens.

i like turning the clicker pens due to being a solid piece of wood. also love turning cigars, barons, and jr gents.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Steve, I appreciate the info. I am going to turn a cigar in the next few days,and any advise is usefull.

The actual turning of a slimline is no different than any other pen, but take care setting out the bushes for the cigar before turning.
And once you've done that, check the bushes are set out properly before turning:biggrin::rolleyes:

Top Bottom