Favorite???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Of all the pens shown here what is your favorite type of pens to look at?? Not looking for kit names.

Examples:

Segmented

Casted on tubes

Kitless

Wood and be specific burls, historical, exotics or others

Acrylics

Or something else and give us an example.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

In the 8 years that I have been a member here, I have seen some very nice impressive pens made from exotic burls to laminated wood, to kitless pens, and just about anything you ban imagine, and I too have made pens from several materials myself, however my favorite has always been deer antler. I have made a lot of different pens from it, from slimlines to roman harvest rollerball pens. The roman harvest rollerball pen is a very heavy large pen, but it is my favorite pen. It is also my carry pen to church o Sunday.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't normally look for a particular style, but most often will be drawn to specific makers in the first instance. For instance Si90's steampunk stuff or Shane Whitlock's fly fishing castings.
You know you are in for a treat before you even open the thread with some makers.
I do think though that a perfectly made slim made by anyone is far superior to a slightly off kilter segmented creation.
I also think that a pen that 'looks' simple is often very much more attractive than an overly complex creation.
JT, you B&W panache is my all time favourite segmented pen. :biggrin:

campzeke

I can't say that I favor one type of pen over another. I enjoy seeing all the different styles and what the talented artists on this site do with them. I have been encouraged and inspired by many of the folks that are kind enough to share their talents, advice and work on this site. I visit this site daily and recommend it to anyone and everyone that has any interest at all in pen making.

Thanks to all of you!

jttheclockman

As I figured there is a mix to the type of blanks and pens that are favored. What I did not realize is that there is also a keep your eye open for certain turners here. I agree though that some pen makers always put out a quality product and you can pretty much be a shored of it when you see the name. There are a few very creative turners here.

Thanks for taking the time to post to this. I hope to fill a few of these catagorys over the next few months. Back is feeling better so that is a plus but I also have to now fill in the yard work as the weather gets nicer now.

Skeleton2014

I would have to say I'm partial to any kitless demonstrator FP. Would love to see more here at IAP. Trying to get up the courage to make a few.
Jeff

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My favourites are, in no particular order, segmented, cast on tubes, kitless, any and all wood burls, & acrylics!

bpgoldo

Really good question and interesting thread. My answer would be....Highly figured, segmented pens....with a story. Love the story. It's the thought behind the work that often makes a pen memorable and meaningful for me.

Top Bottom