Fatter centerband for slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy

I have found that people that I am making pens for like the "slimline" style better than the cigar style pens that I like to make. I find the center band to be limiting in its design. I realize that I can make the centerband out of corian or wood. I have not had luck in removing it all together since my pens come out slightly (0.002) out of round. Does anyone make a larger centerband or is there a similar style of pen that has a larger centerband?

Thanks!

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

I never use flat center bands. I use double beaded center band kits from Berea Hardwoods and the ball clips with a raised center band from Woodturningz and a few other places. Using a better mandril and live center will take out the 0.002

Cowboy

Originally posted by jrc
Using a better mandril and live center will take out the 0.002

I have a oneway live center and a compression mandrel. Not really sure what is going on, maybe I am too aggressive in my cuts.

Chris

rduncan

Originally posted by Cowboy
<br />I have found that people that I am making pens for like the "slimline" style better than the cigar style pens that I like to make. I find the center band to be limiting in its design. I realize that I can make the centerband out of corian or wood. I have not had luck in removing it all together since my pens come out slightly (0.002) out of round. Does anyone make a larger centerband or is there a similar style of pen that has a larger centerband?

Thanks!

Chris

I like the "Streamline" from Berea and the "Father Sing" from Craft Supplies. The later uses a tenon but both have a larger CB.

Rick

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can also find a larger centerband on the "comfort" model (eliminate the rubber) from PSI and Woodturningz. Available in TN if you are so inclined.

Scott

Hi Chris!

There are a lot of things you can do with a slimline style pen! You can make your own centerband, or eliminate it completely. The fatter kits in this style are the Streamlined Slimline from Berea (same as the Toni from Woodcraft), and the Father Sing from Craft Supplies. There are probably others as well. I wrote an article on the topic of turning your own centerbands, and it is here at Penturners.org:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

It starts on the fourth page down. Also do a search here and on the Yahoo Penturners for lots of information on what you can do about centerbands. Good Luck, and have fun!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom