Fancy vs Plain?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

If you're making pens for a show or a shop or something like that, what percentage of pens do you make with fancy roots/burls/exotics etc.... compared to what percentage do you make out of ordinary straight grain hunks o' wood?

Just curious:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

If you're making pens for a show or a shop or something like that, what percentage of pens do you make with fancy roots/burls/exotics etc.... compared to what percentage do you make out of ordinary straight grain hunks o' wood?

Just curious:)

That's a great question. For me, I always try to have something of interest in every pen blank. I always look for heavy grain, spalting, etc. I don't think I ever make pens from just an "ordinary straight grain hunk o' wood." I like my blanks to always have something to catch the eye.

MatthewZS

Part of the reason I ask is general curiousity but also because we had several large pieces of Huisache in our wood pile which I've been trying to salvage. They are so rotted that ALL I'm getting is pieces big enough for pen blanks. It's all pretty wood, but none of it's anything but just straight grain so I was curious if there came a point when I've got 50 pounds of blanks that I should just let it rot:)

Drew Croy

Good Question

I make a little of both. Although I love a nice piece of spalted or burly wood; I can also find beauty in a nice straight clean lined pen too.

To tell you the truth I sell about 50/50 too. I like aromatic cedar for straight grained wood. The smell is fantastic and you'd be surprised how many people just love the combo of the light red/white and that fresh cedar smell.

About 2 months ago I decided I wasn't going to make pens to order anymore. It puts too much pressure on me getting 20-30 order in at a time and I get no joy or relaxation out of making them. Now I only turn pens I want to keep. I turn things I find beauty in and that I enjoy doing. I let people know that I'll have 10 or so new pens a week and if they want to buy one that I have already made I'd consider it, but I wont "Make them one" they just never turn out the same.

Sorry for the long winded answer.. I guess you just triggered it with your question.

jttheclockman

people like color. That is a fact. Acrylics or woods with color sell well. You just don't or at least I would find it to be a crime to put a straight grain wood on a middle to high end kit. Those straight grain woods are for your 1.95 slimlines:) The only exception is if is some historical wood. Good luck proving it though.

bitshird

I'm dead in line with JT bright colors or wood the just screams I'm special, and will sell better, I used to do some common woods like Ipe and Granadillo even some Purpleheart and Caribbean Rosewood, but even though they aren't over the top grains they are still reasonably exotic, and most exotic hardwoods out sell plain pines and cedar even though cedar is beautiful and fragrant. Plain Walnut VS. Claro burl Walnut?? uh how about Huon Pine vs Douglas fir, If a wood is reasonably uncommon and has a nice color and SOME defined grain, it should make a pen that if nothing else could be donated to the pens for servicemen, -- Hand made, kind of special, shows someone back home cares and it would go to someone special, a Service man or woman a Soldier or Sailor, even a Marine or Air force member.

fernhills

I use the straight grained blanks in segments, in colors that compliment one another. Also you can dye them, make something ordinary into something less ordinary. All wood is valuable. Carl

PapaTim

matthew,
Try angle cutting the blanks a see how it looks. Some plain grain woods look really sweet when cut at an angle.
How about a photo of a pen made with Huisache? I haven't seen one before.

avbill

I look for exotic grained woods. this could be grain contrast, cross cut grain, unique grain patterns, or anythings that is unusual about the grain that makes the pen blank uniquely different.

And then Burls!

MatthewZS

matthew,
Try angle cutting the blanks a see how it looks. Some plain grain woods look really sweet when cut at an angle.
How about a photo of a pen made with Huisache? I haven't seen one before.

Actually I've got one right here.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 133

Dave_M

No plain for me. If I turn it and find nothing inside. I'm talking straight plain grain wood lacking color then I toss it. Sometimes I'll hit it with some blo to see if the blo can bring out any color or enhance the grain pattern. It's also very rare that I find a piece of wood like that but it does happen.

I always tell people turning wood is like opening a Christmas present. Sometimes you have good idea what's in the package based on your experience, what you see & how it feels, but every now and then you open one up and it's nothing like you expected. You can find amazing things inside and some not so amazing things inside... you never really know for certain until you turn it.

bradh

An experienced eye usually prefers exotic woods, burls and different colours. There still is a market for regular woods. I am always surprised how many Maple, Oak, Cherry, and Walnut straight grain wood pens that I do sell. I do sell these simple pens for less money than exotics and burls. I just cannot bring myself to sell a pen with a $0.25 blank for the same price as a burl pen with a $6 blank.
I would guess that I sell about a quarter of my pens with simple plain-grain woods.

ThomJ

The folks that buy my pens at a local craft store, prefer local woods, and most are straight grained walnut, oak, cherry, apple, maple. The exotics don't sell as fast

kludge77

people like color. That is a fact. <snip>

+1

For me I feel like my customers are like insects, they gravitate to the colorful pens first. I have to show them, what burl and curl is.

For me, color sells. Here's a quick look at my case, the last time I opened it. The ones on the right are all gone and the three maples and oak remain.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Padre

Part of the reason I ask is general curiousity but also because we had several large pieces of Huisache in our wood pile which I've been trying to salvage. They are so rotted that ALL I'm getting is pieces big enough for pen blanks. It's all pretty wood, but none of it's anything but just straight grain so I was curious if there came a point when I've got 50 pounds of blanks that I should just let it rot:)
Do you cast at all? A great idea would be to make some 'worthless wood' blanks out of some of that rotted wood.

MatthewZS

Do you cast at all? A great idea would be to make some 'worthless wood' blanks out of some of that rotted wood.

I have dabled in casting but I really don't have all the supplies, and I'm in the middle of a BAD cashflow problem lucky to keep myself sane with the occaional pen kit:) It is on my agenda

areaman

try segmenting the straight wood with some acrylics. that way you get the color and satisfy the people who simply like wood.

Pens By Scott

Matthew,
Sounds like too much to waste. Have you thought about doing cross cut or diagonals, and even look for stabilizing services? I know that a few members here offer the service, and have heard good things. Might even be able to save some of the interesting near rotting parts...

MatthewZS

Most of the rotting parts are falling apart.... literally like powdered wood or something. I'm keeping smaller than pen blank parts for segmenting and inlays and stuff. I've cross cut some and straight cut some.... I'm actually considering starting to put together some little bundles and selling them maybe...... they won't be anything fancy but they'll be cheap and good for turners just looking to practice.

Top Bottom