Fair price for Polaris set?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I made my first Polaris pen and pencil set and think I have it sold but I am not sure where to price it at. It is the Platimun Group plating and has maple (ambrosia). I will upload a pic later.
So what would be a fair market price, and a fair to a friend price?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I recently sold an Atlas pen/pencil set in African Blackwood with Black Chrome fitting for $75... so I would guess a bit more for the Platinum plating in Ambrosia Maple... probably $85-90...
I sell the Atlas pens for $40 in all woods or acrylics and TN Gold, Chrome, Black Chrome platings... obviously the better looking woods sell better, but remember you can get 2 pens out of a 6" blank.. and I believe that BillB still has some 6" acrylic blanks left, but you have to ask... almost all the blanks now are 5.5"

dubdrvrkev

Thanks Griz, I'd like to think that my work was worth what yours is but honestly I am just not at the same level you are. But it gives me a good reference point anyway.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Hey Kevin, you are talking about a Platinum plated pen/pencil set here... if the finish on the wood is good then the additional oomph of the plating commands the price...
Please do not judge all work by mine... and do not think you can't get the prices I do... HELL I have made up prices on the fly for some of my work and was shocked when the person jumped on them...
If you price yourself low, you will sell pens, but you will then have a hard time when you decide to up your prices because "YOU" think your quality has gotten that much better. If the quality of your pens if good enough to bring sales, charge real time prices... I would not go less than $75 for a set like that in Platinum plating... your customer knows what platinum is worth.. so charge accordingly..
I honestly believe a well made Atlas, Polaris, whatever CSU calls it pen is worth $40... it shows off the material nicely, is comfortable in the hand, and is a good looking style (even though I didnt't think so before making one.. LOL)

wayneis

Kevin listen to Tom. This is a topic that gets brought up every two weeks and there is no pat answer that is right for everyone. That said, Tom is right, its easy to lower a price but darn hard to raise it once ytou already have it priced lower, people remember these things. If something is worth making its worth making right, if something is worth selling then you need to sell for the going rate. What you need to do is find that going rate for your area I am in an area that is mostly white collar workers so things are prised higher than say where Tom lives because he lives in a farming community and money is a little tighter there. The other thing to remember is that if you price something to low than people will think that there is something wrong with it.

Wayne

dubdrvrkev

I trust Tom's words, and he definately makes good points. Part of my issue is I wouldn't pay that much for pens, but then again, I can just make them. I am just trying to get started in selling them so that is why I am a little lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom