Failed magnets in Zen Pen Caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philthephlier

This is my second thread re: magnets coming loose from the cap requiring that they be sanded lightly and reglued into the cap. I have turned about 20 of these so far and I have had at least 12 of the caps fail in this way. I recommend that the magnet be popped out of the cap carefully, then sand it to create a good glue surface and then ca it back in. I have had no refailures after repairing them this way. I am not happy that several customers have had to return their pen to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I have had it happen to me also. Every Zen that I have made has had the magnet come out. I contacted CSUSA and they are sending me another kit because my customer lost the magnet. I informed them about the problem and mentioned that several others on the website have had the same kind of problem. If you haven't called them you should do so to let them know. They should talk to their manufacturer about this product because it obviously has a problem.

Rudy Vey

Was never really fond of the magnetic cap idea. If it would work well, one would see much more pens from pen companies utilizing magnets. I choose not to use the magnet, but decided on the screw cap version sold by Aaron in Hawaii.:)

philthephlier

pulling out the magnets

There is obviously very little adhesive used to hold the magnet in. Sand a piece of very hard wood down to the shape of a fingernail and use it to lever the magnet free by rotating and lifting until the adhesive breaks free. It doesn't take much. Shows the QC is not up to snuff.

ericatcraft

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know what we at Craft Supplies USA are doing with the Zen Pen.
I realize this thread is a few weeks old, it took us a little while to check what we had and contact our manufacturer regarding the Zen pen. Our manufacturer let us know that there was a mistake with the epoxy that was used in gluing the magnets in the cap, apparently the epoxy was mixed incorrectly. We are in the process of gluing all the caps in our inventory and EVERY pen we ship will have been fixed. The manufacturer has also fixed their process and they are sending us replacement parts.
Thanks for your posts regarding this problem, comments like yours are invaluable to us in helping us maintain our quality standards.
As posted, we have found that the magnet can be glued back into place with minimal effort. If anyone has caps with magnets that have fallen out and you don't want to take the time to glue it in yourself, just call our customer service department (1-800-551-8876) and we will replace the cap free of charge with no hassle. Again to reassure everyone, every Zen Pen shipped currently has been fixed and we anticipate no future problems.

Thanks again,
Eric Dorman
Craft Supplies USA

Top Bottom