failed clip experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A common question here, and at other forums, involves where to find or how to customize pen clips. The selection of unique or 'theme' clips is somewhat limited. The most popular (in my case, the Christian Cross) come only in gold colored.
Right now, I am wanting a cross in silver but none can be purchased. It would go on a European with pink acrylic. (I know, I'm the "wood only" guy. enuf of that for now.) This would be a gift to a friend's wife who is battling breast cancer. I don't think gold would be complimentary to the pink.
Enneyhow, I have this rifle clip that didn't hold up to normal use very long. The gold wore off quickly exposing the silver-colored nickel underlayment.
The experiment involved removing the remaining gold to turn this into an all silver-colored clip. I chucked up my cloth buffer and charged it with light green rouge. It quickly removed the gold highlights. But, if I held for a fraction of a second too long, it also removed the nickel exposing black colored steel underneath.
Agreed, simple experiment. A different rouge might give different results. Although, the manufacturers represent the green as the ideal rouge for this sort of use. Enneyhow, I present this failure for whatever use the information might be to others.

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nick

Failed clip

Frank,

Sorry to hear of your friends cancer battle, My thoughts and prayers are with her. It is a carring jesture on your part to make a pen for her. It gives a person a good feeling to do something nice for another person.

For some time I have thought about making a clip from silver poly clay. I am told that it would hold up as well as a metal clip. Possibly you could make a mold in the style of clip you wish then pack the poly silver into that mold and fire it. I am not sure about the shrinkage to allow for with this product if any. Possibly some one else on the site would have additional information or suggestions. There may be an outlet in your area for the clay that could offer info as well.

Let us know how you make out on this project.

Regards

Nick

Lakewood WA

drayman

frank, first well done for trying. what about using black ti euro, i saw one somewhere and thought it looked great

Texatdurango

Nick, if you are referring to PMC, I could say... "been there, done that" and PMC, while great for center bands and accent rings, is not good for clips. You could however cut a cross from a sheet of sterling and solder it to a clip.

Nick

Clips

George, Yes that is the material I was talking about. I have not tried it as yet but from what you say it will not work, the stuff in not cheap as well. Thanks for the info!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
On the buffing - I have a couple of cheap plated gold pens in which the plating wore off in spots. I disassembled the pens and buffed the plating off altogether. It had more of a "silver" appearance in its warmth than platinum or chrome. Worked well. I used a very light touch and .2 micron paste available here.

Top Bottom