Faded Stars blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been reading the threads about reverse painting and brass turning. I evidently did not learn, I turned the new stars blank from penn state only after painting the brass silver only to find out the blank is almost transparent and you can see the glue, paint and it us a mess. I am painting the new blank black in hopes to get better results. it is apparently critical to paint the brass and reverse paint the blank the correct color.

comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Mr Jim, I did the same thing and learned quickly after the first mess up, paint both the inside of the blank and the tube, i did em with black and a few with blue, they both worked well and can hardly tell which is which...... be well

Woodkiller

I painted mine a bright blue and only did the tube and it worked for me. Depends on which pen you are making as to how thin the acrylic will be. The thinner it is, the more important it is to get it painted.
It would be best I'm sure to paint both the tube and inside the blank, but I probably got lucky on mine. The first one I did I didn't get lucky on, but I didn't paint either and paid for it.

turncrazy43

I have used them often. Reverse painted the blank only in dark blue with a q-tip and used 5 minute epoxy. They have all turned out great.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The type of glue you use matters. CA does not play well with paint. If you are not already doing so, use epoxy. You can also tint the epoxy with a drop of the paint.

sbell111

The type of glue you use matters. CA does not play well with paint. If you are not already doing so, use epoxy. You can also tint the epoxy with a drop of the paint.
You can use CA with paint, but you must ensure that the paint is completely cured prior to gluing in the tubes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Painting" is a frequent phone topic.

I will always tell you that no one has ever complained that they should NOT have painted the tubes. I do get calls complaining that they can SEE the tubes.

SO, if you paint, you are very unlikely to regret it.
When in doubt, PAINT!! And as long as the paint can is out, do the hole AND the tube. And, yes, WAIT for it to fully cure (several days is a good time frame).

WriteON

The blanks are not consistent. The first 2 I did we're beautiful. The next one was too light and finished poorly. Too transparent. I was at PSI last week and compared the difference. Email Tony at PSI and let him know about it(if the blank came from PSI). He will send a replacement. Tell him to be sure the blank is dark blue. The blanks should not have to be painted.

Last edited:

TonyL

Made the same "mistake" by not painting the stars section. I, then, reversed painted the blank with very light blue acrylic paint. Waited close to to days for the paint to dry, then used epoxy. I made a cigar for me and one for my dad, both look great. I painted the lower tube, of red and white stripe section white and used epoxy. I wasn't taking any chances. Separately, I found the stars blank pretty brittle. I blew the first one using a carbide rougher.

lwalper

Yep, I've broken one too. Just take it easy, keep your tools sharp, and plan on sanding the last bit down to size. Have never seen the need to paint the tubes on these. The casting was quite opaque.

Top Bottom