Faceplate curiousity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So I know about screwing a workpiece to a faceplate, but my curiousity has me me thinking. The faceplate seems, more so than many other "lathe accessories", like a perfect foundation for some custom thingamajig. But at least in my case it came out of the box, went on the tool holder and stays there.... never getting used. So my curiousity has me wondering what if any more far fetched and creative turning uses you've put yours to.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

So I know about screwing a workpiece to a faceplate, but my curiousity has me me thinking. The faceplate seems, more so than many other "lathe accessories", like a perfect foundation for some custom thingamajig. But at least in my case it came out of the box, went on the tool holder and stays there.... never getting used. So my curiousity has me wondering what if any more far fetched and creative turning uses you've put yours to.

Not much call for a faceplate for turning pens but in the turning field it is a very valuable tool or part of the lathe. The one thing I use a faceplate for in the pen turning forum is a sanding disc. I attach a piece of mdf or plexiglass to the plate and then with the use of small pieces of sticky backed sandpaper I make a sanding disc for special pen blanks such as my metal braided blanks. I also use it to knock off the unwanted CA glue on the ends of the tubes after turning the blank and doing a CA finish. Sanding is the way to go there as opposed to using a pen mill. I guess I should also add the use of a drill chuck in the tail stock and a set of HF punches are needed for my setup.

Get into segmenting turning for bowls and other objects a faceplate is invaluabe. That and some double sided tape is a must. The same can be said for lots of turnings. Attach the bottom of a vase or bowl to the faceplate is necessary.

So not sure what you are looking for but here are some examples of what I use a faceplate for.

Last edited:

MatthewZS

No, that's exactly the sort of thing..... it seemed in penturning I never use my faceplate and I never hear anyone else mention them so I was curious if anyone had any clever pen related uses for them:)

KenV

Bases for desk sets are a good area for face plates and glue blocks. Special turnings that I do not want to put into jaws of a chuck, "Jam Chuck" to mount pen parts for polishing or special treatments.

Sanding plates or sanding forms for special effects.

Most all the uses I have use waste blocks. I strongly recommend not using plywood or MDF for glue blocks. It has a bad habit of coming apart at inopportune times. May be good for sanding disk, but not beyond that.

JimMc7

+1 for John's use -- I use this to clean CA off the ends and to square expensive or fragile blanks (e.g., laser inlay blanks). I tried MDF alone 1st and added the laminate for durability.

Attachments

• DSCN0249.JPG
    DSCN0249.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 151

its_virgil

After hosting Lyle Jamieson in my home and getting some one on one shop time with him and after watching his bowl turning video set I use my face plates (I've purchased a couple of new ones) almost exclusively for non-pen turnings. Face plate and glue blocks...what a combination! So now my chucks are doing what your face plate is doing...collecting dust.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom