Face Shields ??? Advice PLEASE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I took a 2x2x6 piece of wet walnut of the side of my face from my table saw, so I want a good face shield. I have been looking and seen the (Uvex Bionic) does anyone have one of these, they look like some great protection but are they comfortable to wear for hours??? Or can someone suggest a good safe comfortable face shield, as I process a ton of wood. Thank my lucky stars that it did not get the best of me takes more then a small piece of walnut to hold me down ( thought I was going to the docs with a nice cut, but just a bruise and huge scrape on my face). Thanks everyone, Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
With wood that big flying through space, this may be what you need.

2007101622544_images.jpg
<br />

Sorry, I couldn't resist! [}:)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Victor,

I know that you are a custom furniture maker and therefore have lots of experience with saws. I began using table saws as a pre-teen in the '50s as a necessity. This was before safety devices and design was a consideration.

Beginning about 10 years ago, I began to realize that safety had to become a part of my regimen. It was not easy adapting and changing old work habits. Face shields will help tremendously but in reality only address the symptom and is more or less passive protection. Kick back prevention issues, riving knifes and blade guards are usually the best route, but troublesome to use and eat up time taking on and off for special cuts, especially when time is money. In the long run, these are much better than passive protection alone.

I took this as a good thing (wow that sounds really stupid,LOL) but it gave me a new respect for my tools and how I may have been not being as safe as I should. Due to the cooler weather in michigan I was set up outside) this time of year I was wearing my atlas gloves(my favorite wood handling gloves)and had a slip thats what caused the flying through space thing. I realize this is a huge no no and will never make the mistake again, Oh and never found the piece of wood after it bounced off my face,LOL. Hank you are right with all the safety minded design I need to take advantage of it. Thanks everyone always, Victor

jeffj13

Victor,

Glad you're alright. As a general rule, I think that it is a bad idea to wear gloves when using power tools.

That is also a rather small piece of wood to run through a table saw without some sort of support. You might want to consider building a sled.

jeff

rickstef

Victor,

I use the Uvex Bionic face shield, with the anti fog coating, while in my class at Arrowmont, I had a bowl blank slip out of the chuck, and nail me in the face, good thing I was wearing the shield, plus, the frame of the shield touches my chest, so no shavings or curls get into my neck, and I wear a turning smock too.

Rick

Hello, Rick are you able to wear it for long periods of time with out it driving you crazy? Its got to be comfortable or I'll end up putting it in the corner and not using it. Thanks everyone, Victor

rhahnfl

I wear an AO Safety full face shield all the time in the shop. Some times it gets a little warm but like anything else, you get used to it. A couple of weeks ago I was changing a light bulb in my drill press and it blew up in my hand. Cut me to the bone on my index finger... was I ever glad I had that face shield on. I'd have probably had a face full of glass as well. BTW Novus plastic polish cleans a face shield really well.
[:)]

rickstef

Victor,

I have been known, at least to my parents, to visit the little Pen Turner's room with the face shield on my head.

I find that the face shield is the second thing I grab when I walk into the shop to turn.

I really enjoy the face shield, infinite adjustability, top of the head strap, locking ratchet strap on the back of the head strap, the shield is positionable in a few ways.

One of the best purchases I have made for when I turn.

Rick

I realize glooves are a no no with anything that has spinning parts exposed not just saws plumbing snakes and so on. This is not my habbit just a foolish thing I had done not thinking and in a hurry. I will never make the same mistake again as I said in the first post. Thanks for all the info. everyone, Victor

dbriski

I use the Trend AirShield which is face and lung protection in one. It gets a little hot in the summer but its tolerable. Its a bit expensive, but I don't have a dust collector, so its a must. I use it on the lathe, table saw, router, planer, everything I do in the shop I have my Trend AirShield on.

Hello, I got this baby with the anti-fog(it really seems to work well, only condensation no fog). I'm in Michigan and the weather is getting cold so my shop is always a little chilly, yet I have no fogging trouble other then my glasses to see with. Its adjustable in a few different ways and this makes it comfortable to wear. I'm very happy and now I'll be able to keep all my teeth,LOL. Thanks for the advice everyone, Victor

rlharding

I have the Uvex Bionic. It's the only face shield I have bought that didn't go on the pile of almost new face shields. As with most things - hard, hats, gloves, tools, they are made for men. I think that is the only reason I have had problems with every face shield I have tried. They just get way to heavy to wear after a short time and I have to ratchet them so tight to keep them on I get headaches.

I am glad a previous turner pointed out that they do get moisture but don't fog because I was going to say that they do fog. Now I realise it is moisture I am always wiping off. Once the face shield is on par with the temp. in my shop after the fire has been going, even the moisture stops.

It is incredibly comfortable, when I lift it it actually does lift up completely and rather than feel as if it is tipping off, it's just comfortable. I have actually had occasion to search for it and all the time it was on my head flipped up.

The prices range from medium to high. I got mine on sale for $29, regular price $39. I have seen them as high as $52.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom