Extra Brass Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

I brought this question up on a FB group site and thought I would ask here to see if I'm the only one or if others feel the same way as I do.
Most suppliers offer extra tubes already cut for all the different pens they offer but some suppliers do not, but they do offer 10" long tubes that you can order and cut yourself. Does the availability of "Extra Tubes" already cut to size play a part in weather or not you will add a new pen style to your inventory? For me it does, simply for the extra time involved in having to set up to cut them when I'm setting up for a production run of either casting or turning . Now having said that, it will not prevent me from buying a few to try but it would prevent me from ordering more even if I just Loved the kit because for me the availability of those tubes and the time it saves me is worth it. No right or wrong answer just curious if I'm alone in this or if others feel the same.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

If that is the case could you buy the longer tube and set up and cut 5-10 extra pairs of tubes? that way when you mess up you have them in stock already and that way they are cheaper.

GoatRider

The availability of extra tubes is definitely a factor in whether I make a pen regularly. I'll make the first one without extra tubes, but if I make a lot I'd rather keep a few kits around in different metals. Then I turn some blanks and then decide which finish it belongs with.

jd99

I found out this afternoon that the local hobby shop has a bunch of brass tube, in both metric and inch sizes.
:)

Now I just gotta figure out exactly what sizes are for which kits, and compare prices to see who is cheaper. I'm hopping the hobby shop they are around the corner. then I'll stock up on one or two 12" lengths of the kits I sell, and use the most.

No Shipping :biggrin:

Fibonacci

Is that Pegasus Hobbies? That place is great.

From what I have seen, the tubing used in pens does not seem to match any of the hobby sizes I coule find. They tend to be both very thin walled and odd OD/ID.

Fatdawg

For me the availability of "Extra Tubes" does not sway my kit stocking either way. I always buy a few sets of "extra tubes" or cut my own extras from the longer length sections of tubing. I like to have extra tubes on hand for that occasional oops or getting a head start while waiting on receiving out of stock kits.

jd99

Is that Pegasus Hobbies? That place is great.

From what I have seen, the tubing used in pens does not seem to match any of the hobby sizes I coule find. They tend to be both very thin walled and odd OD/ID.
They have some there and there is a place right around the corner called Hobby Club the guy says he can get what ever I need, I just have to price it.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Tubes are no concern to what kit I carry. But I do have about 50 extra sets of tubes for every kit I stock. I feel you can never have to many tubes.

Like fatdawg said. I will order extra tubes if they are available to get a head start on the next one while awaiting a kit. I would not not make a pen because I dont have spare tubes on hand. Most kits take only an hour or so to make, so its no big deal. I may encourage a client to order an alternate style to one I have on hand so they dont have to wait, but it's not hard to get them to wait to get the one they like best.

My "standard" line includes 9 or 10 different pen styles. These have varying tubes but there are 5 of those that use the same tube size, but different lengths for each. It just wouldn't make sense to stock 5 different tubes of the same diameter, so I opt for (and stock) a pkg of the long tubes.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I keep a "few" of the pre cut tube sets on hand as well as the 10 inch lengths and the K&S brand tubes 1ft lengths as well. I afraid that my answer though is invalid because I dont use kits to build my pens. I either make the parts or make them out of all wood.

firewhatfire

I need tubes in sections probably 10 ft long. I can sure make a mess with them sometimes. I do not have any other than the stanard size for kits on hand though.

I prefer to have a few sets of tubes laying around as ideas hit me to try I have a tube I can play with. I need to adopt Ernies philosophy.

Phil

navycop

I like to keep some of the smaller lenght tubes on hand. If I am doing a decal and it doesn't come out right, I can just do another one and get the old tube out later.

Top Bottom