Explosions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am new to pen turning and it could be something I need to get better at, but I am experiencing a lot of blow outs when I am turning certain woods. Leopard wood is giving me a problem, as well as a hickory one with zebra wood inlay. I tried turning up the speed for one of the blank that I don't know what kind of wood it is and that seemed to work a little. I am using a gouge tool. Am I using the wrong tool? Is it not sharp enough? maybe un even pressure? Or is it dry wood? Any help would be great. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

What glue are you using? I've read many posts about blow outs and the common thread I see is use of CA or Epoxy to glue the tubes. I use Gorilla glue and have had only a few blowouts in quite a few years of turning pens.

John

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
First off, welcome to IAP and a question. Where is Naperville?
To answer your question, every time I've had a blow out, there has been no glue on the exposed tube or the blown off piece. Make sure you have good glue coverage. You can achieve this by plugging the end of the tube before you insert it in the blank and be sure to twist it and pull it in and out a few times. Also be sure you have sharp tools.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will try gorilla glue. I am sure that I get complete coverage with the glue on the tube because I do bounce the tube in and out a few times to get complete coverage of glue. Lastly, Naperville is in Illinois.

Dave Turner

I've had great results with 5 minute epoxy. I get the best adhesive coverage by first coating the inside surface of the hole with epoxy using the plastic handle of a cheap decorative paint brush (I can wipe it off with a paper towel and reuse it over and over). I then put a goodly portion of epoxy coating the brass tube and rotate it with in-out plunger motions as I insert it into the hole.

I initially push the tube in so it is flush with the opposite side and then scrape off the excess epoxy from the far end. I then push the tube back flush with the near side and scrape off the excess from the near end. Finally I center the brass tube where I want it. Off course you need to plug both ends of the tube with dental wax to prevent difficult epoxy cleanups after it's hardened.

I now only use Gorilla glue when the hole is somewhat over-sized compared to the brass tube, since it expands so much. I used to use it more, but find I like the epoxy better now.

Also, sharp tools are critical as is a light touch when you get toward the end. After all, there is only about 1 mm of material covering the tube near the end.

Top Bottom