Experts, please help a novice out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many questions. The more I do this, the more questions I have. Here are some, in no particular order:

- How many pens (more or less) do you get from a set of micro mesh pads before you replace them?

- What is the best way to clean micro mesh pads?

- How many others out there use a Shopsmith to turn pens?

- Does anyone use paper bag as a burnisher like Russ Fairfield describes on his site (http://www.woodturner-russ.com/)
- Why or why not?

- Has anyone used finishing wax as a lubricant like Russ Fairfield describes on his site?
- Why or why not?

- Will someone please tell me that if I keep using the skew I will get better at it? :(
- Speaking of the skew, any suggestions on how to use it? :)

- Any general words of wisdom to help a novice get better?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
On the skew, Daniel told me to not lay it flat on the rest, but more tilted. When I learned that, it made a world of difference for me. Suddenly it started to make sense. I am not a skew convert but I do use it at the beginning to get the square blank round. Imagine the skew at an angle like this / or more at a 45° angle rather than like this __ - all while holding the handle nearly horizontal. This got me started.

I use leather strips for burnishing lightly. Paper bags will do also. It is more of a personal preference, I would think.

I can't answer the other questions authoritatively and leave that to those in the know.

Dario

- How many pens (more or less) do you get from a set of micro mesh pads before you replace them?
Been using the same set of micromesh for more than a year now. Probably made 100 pens already...and it is still good.

Not sure about best way but I wash mine with water, dishwashing liquid and toothbrush. Others was it in the washing machine inside pants pocket or meshed hosiery bags.

Don't know...check MDWine

- Does anyone use paper bag as a burnisher like Russ Fairfield describes on his site (http://www.woodturner-russ.com/)
I tried it but stopped using it.

- Why or why not?
Micromesh works better IMHO [:D]

- Has anyone used finishing wax as a lubricant like Russ Fairfield describes on his site?
Not me

- Why or why not?
N/A

- Will someone please tell me that if I keep using the skew I will get better at it? [:(]
Definitely!

- Speaking of the skew, any suggestions on how to use it? [:)]
Will take me forever to describe it and still you won't learn a thing (I am bad in describing things)

PRACTICE and be kind to yourself. Rome wasn't built in one day [;)]

mick

#3 I've been known to turn a few pens on a ShopSmith [:D]

#6 If you'll use it all the time and then use it some more you'll get better!

#9 Keep turning pens and read this forum and ask questions and turn some more pens......oh and don't be afraid to try something new [:D]

Daniel

My first set lasted for well over 100 pens. I've been through a couple more since then but forgot to count. sumular longevity though.

I wipe it across a scrap piece of denim (Blue Jean Material) after every use. for periodic thurough cleaning I use the soapy water and tooth brush method.

I don't but they are not at all uncommon. you should be able to find plenty of comments, threads etc concerning the specifics of turning pens on one.

nope
- Why or why not?
I use micro mesh

no
- Why or why not?
Don't think I've ever seen the discription.

- Will someone please tell me that if I keep using the skew I will get better at it?
yes you will. get some scrap wood and practice. play around withthe angle that the cutting edge meats the wood until it starts just slicing it away. keep doing this til you loose the tension in your arms and shoulders and forget to worry about it. then your ready to start getting better with it.

- Speaking of the skew, any suggestions on how to use it?
read the suggestions above about the angle of the skew. keep it more in a flat postion. and have the edge riding more over the the top of the blank rather than at it's side. that is about as good as I can do in writing. it is much easier to show than to explain. even then you have to practice to get used to it.

relax and enjoy, knowledge will come, either from advice on groups like this. or by your own experience. Enjoy this time while everything is new exciting and interesting. some day probably very soon you will long to capture this time again.
of course then you will be trying new cuts and methods with the skew rather than just trying to figure out how to use it at all.
along the way there are never to many questions to be asked

Rochester

I use a Shopsmith. My father passed it down to me and since my shop is small it serves several purposes. It is a little overkill for pens but it is nice for bowls and other larger items.

GBusardo

This post is an example of why this forum is so great. The poster had some good questions and, as usual, the answers recieved were very helpful. I had some of the same questions about MM but keep forgetting to ask.
Scott, You WILL get better with the skew, keep it tilted as posted and in my experience, the skew can't be too sharp.
Thanks from me also
Gary

davidrei

From what I've read, many will tell you that the best way to use a skew is to place it vertically in the ground and tie your tomato plants to it. [}:)] For those that might consider such an action, I'd be happy to trade your skew for a professioanlly made tomato stake, I'd even pay for shipping. [;)]

esheffield

I still consider myself a beginner with the skew. Still have problems with it, but I've gotten good enough to tell that perfecting it will be worthwhile. My only comment would be to check the shape of your skew - the cross-section, not the bevel. Mine was a prefect rectangle, and was impossible to use as trying to move it along the toolrest the sharp edges would "dig in" to the rest and catch, jump, skip, etc. I finally took it to the grinder and rounded over the corners all along the length on the "heel" side. Huge difference! I didn't too the upper edge since I never hold it like that, but it might be useful to do so at some point. I hope that makes sense.

If your skew is already nicely shaped (many are) you can disregard this message! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom