Experimenting With Under Painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi,

For many of us, we love turning acrylics and the look it gives. Some of the early learning about acrylic is that many will show the tube and we want to cover that. I have been painting tubes for a long time, some times white, black or grey-silver depending on the look I wanted. Another problem with some acrylics is that they are so transparent that you can also see glue under the surface despite being on painted tubes.

Here is an experiment for you, I used an acrylic I call the Bumble Bee. I made one pen with only painted tubes, the other with painted tubes and under painting in the drilled blank.

Painted Tubes Only

IMG_9103-1.jpg

IMG_9114-1.jpg

Painted Tubes and Under Painted

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9153.jpg

I like the under painted version of this pen, it gives you a better look, this was done with a white acrylic, I could have chosen a yellow and it would have deepened the colour, or maybe black would have densified it maybe too much.

Anyway, buy some extra tubes, buy some extra blanks and try some colours to see what works for you,

Chasper

Nothing beats painting the inside of the tube, I like to match the color, but on some blanks I do use lighter, darker or contrasting colors.
One limitation is that on a true multi color blank, which color do you match? I usually go for the lighter color, but if there is a concentration of one color on each side of the blank I paint the inside of the blank two colors. Try doing a random swirl of one color, let it dry and then paint all over the inside of the tube with another color.

AlanZ

I'm glad you got to play with painting the inside of the tubes. It does a good job of hiding any glue spotting that often shows through the blank.

Top Bottom