Experimenting with Poly Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Takes a lighter touch than I gave it... Chunked it out as soon as I got close to a Euro pattern.

I went ahead to play with buffing the stuff. I wet sanded to 1000 then 3 stage buffing, ending with carnauba wax. Best I could get was a satin finish.

The clay is Sculpey stone look clay with some bits of red added.

Stuff is softer and more brittle than I expected. It also didn't bond as well with the tube as I had hoped. I broke it loose while sanding. I obviously need some more practice. heh

polyclay.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

Don: Did you bake it with the tube in it? Many do it that way. I've found that if I simply roll a sausage, bake it, then glue in the tube with epoxy, I have no problem with separation.

You've got to start somewhere. Sculpy has never been kind to me. It is the weakest of all the polymer clay. Try Premo next time. It is more durable and you can get a high-gloss finish just buffing. The Pearl clays are very interesting to use. The granite scuply that you used will never shine to a good finish unless you poly it.

Good luck!

Toni

It wasnt you it was the clay. Also, next time sand to 2,000 grit and buff it to a high shine. I have never used wax? Could you explain the use of the wax on the polymer clay please?

LEAP

I had the same issue with the sculpey. Just could not be easy enough on the cuts. Bought some Premo but it got used by the girls for another project.

Toni,
That is a sweet pen in your signature line! could you post a bigger photo?

DurocShark

It wasnt you it was the clay. Also, next time sand to 2,000 grit and buff it to a high shine. I have never used wax? Could you explain the use of the wax on the polymer clay please?

Just a common 3 stage buffing using compounds... Coarse, fine, wax. I have seen instructions that say to use no compounds on the wheels, but my wheels are already loaded with compound.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

Top Bottom