Expanded Threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick1708

Have a problem, looking for solutions.

On a recent Jr Statesman, I assembled the pen and then decided I didn't like the finish and wanted to work on it some more. I used a transfer punch to remove the finial (postable end). Now pen is done, but has issues. The cap screws on perfectly over the nib end, but is really tight when posting.

Two things that might have happened. The pounding on the punch slightly expanded the post. The other alternative is that it's just a bad kit and I need to send back for replacement.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I really surprises me that a tap would distort the post.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
10 views, no responses. All I can suggest is to make sure the threads are clean and that the threads on the finial were not damage when disassembled. If you have another kit try the cap on the threads from the other kit to see if it works any better. If it does, then you will know that you have a problem with the ones on your pen.

JerrySambrook

If the punch was actually hitting just the finial, you might have deformed the thread. If the punch was actually hitting the threaded pieces because it is close in size to the tube id, then it MIGHT be damaged threads or a bad part.
Did it the cap thread on both end fine before dis-assembly?

Jerry

babyblues

Did it the cap thread on both end fine before dis-assembly?

That's what I was going to ask. I experienced this problem with a couple of kits right out of the bag. If you look at the post threads under magnification, I'll bet that you can see a small burr at the end of the thread. I called CSUSA and they sent a replacement right out to me, no charge.

Top Bottom