Executive from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I am looking for a single tube pen that comes in gold, all gold. I really like the Elegant Beauty and Aero butthey do not come in all gold.
The executive from PSI comes in 24K gold and has a lifetime durability guarantee. I really dont like the 24k plating but it must be good to have this guarantee. CSUSA has the Americana Classic Pen but only comes in 10k. Also JohnnyCNC only has the bushings for the PSI kit.
The is the sierra gold but I dont like the black enamel at he tip. I have seen too many with chipped paint on them.
The reason is I am running a 50 pen Limited Edition from the crib dam wood that I have been making slims from for the past 6 months. Single barrel is easier and it does show more of the grain.
So to those that make the Executive or the Americana Classic do these hold up and what is your opinion of them.
Thanks
Rich H

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Hmm... I like the elegant beauty/aero too. Does it have to be a twist pen? The reason I'm asking is that the long clicks are available in titanium gold and they're long enough to really show the grain off good in almost any wood. Aaron Lau has them: http://www.laulauwood.net/node/42.

broitblat

I like the executive kit, but I don't think I have enough long term experience to comment on the durability. I haven't had any complaints, but I only have a few in circulation.

-Barry

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've always marvelled at the "life time guarantee".

So, you buy 50 at say, $7 a piece = $350. Some day you come back and need to replace 2 or 3=$21. So, sure they will give them to you!!!

NOW, your customer will expect YOU to remake the pen, including the material, etc. So, what good was that "guarantee"??

No particular vendor meant in this--I have wondered about it since I started buying kits in the mid 1990's!

RDH79

I know Ed 24K is 24K in by book. No matter if its guarenteed . But I am kind of stuck. I want to make a single barrel pen (No regular Sierras) in all Gold That doesnt leave me with much.

Dow I have been looking at the long clicks but i have made a few of those and they dont sell in my area.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Guarantee

So, you buy 50 at say, $7 a piece = $350. Some day you come back and need to replace 2 or 3=$21. So, sure they will give them to you!!!

NOW, your customer will expect YOU to remake the pen, including the material, etc. So, what good was that "guarantee"??

No particular vendor meant in this--I have wondered about it since I started buying kits in the mid 1990's!
But that's just the way all guarantees work....not just on Pen Kits. Few will warrant anything beyond what they sell you.

bgibb42

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm pretty dense sometimes...why would you need to remake the entire pen? If the plating on the pen is worn, couldn't you just replace the components, especially if the barrel material is good condition?

snyiper

Just tough to disassemble at times. Could the pens you want to make be assembled a piece at a time instead of kits? Vendors like woodandwhimsies has seperate parts.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
beautiful pen

I did one executive pen/pencil set that are beautiful...the second, the pen was fine but there was something wrong with the pencil..the lead wouldn't turn out it seemed like the mechanism tip was undersized an turned inside the nib so the lead never moved.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Polaris

I am looking for a single tube pen that comes in gold, all gold. I really like the Elegant Beauty and Aero butthey do not come in all gold.
The executive from PSI comes in 24K gold and has a lifetime durability guarantee. I really dont like the 24k plating but it must be good to have this guarantee. CSUSA has the Americana Classic Pen but only comes in 10k. Also JohnnyCNC only has the bushings for the PSI kit.
The is the sierra gold but I dont like the black enamel at he tip. I have seen too many with chipped paint on them.
The reason is I am running a 50 pen Limited Edition from the crib dam wood that I have been making slims from for the past 6 months. Single barrel is easier and it does show more of the grain.
So to those that make the Executive or the Americana Classic do these hold up and what is your opinion of them.
Thanks
Rich H
Polaris kits from any number of sources come in all gold...nobody here seems to appreciate them very much but personally I like them. I think they have a 'class' look and allow a lot of flexibility in turning the barrel.

bitshird

I've made quite a few Polaris/Trident kits when I first started turning, Easy kit to make, I still have one I carried for nearly a year in the Machine shop and the plating still looks good, and it got a lot of use, it's been through 3 or 4 refills. I've only done 3 Executives and haven't sold any of them, I did them near the end of last season, Andrew (animefan) did his first pen on one of these and he carries it in his pants pocket it's been about a month and so far so good, it is a nice looking kit. Hard to believe Long Clicks don't sell for you they are great for me. but it's all in the area, also doesn't the zen come in Gold TI???

Top Bottom