Executive disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Anyone have suggestions on how to disassemble an Executive? Have not been able to make the normal punch solution won't work as the hole left after the tip punches out (leaving the pressed-in part) is the same diameter as the hole in the top after the transmission is removed. One can sort of tap at an angle to just barely catch the part with the punch, but not enough to move it.

Thanks for any ideas!

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Yes...I stuff a thick wad of paper towel inside the barrel and hammer away. KenV gave me the idea. I also used a small flat washer to slide into the barrel and hammer away. The PT works great.

mecompco

Yes...I stuff a thick wad of paper towel inside the barrel and hammer away. KenV gave me the idea. I also used a small flat washer to slide into the barrel and hammer away. The PT works great.

Tony, thanks! I had thought about a washer, but it didn't seem like one large enough could be gotten through the hole. I'll give the PT a try. Also, will be more careful to notice finish issue prior to assembling w/Loc-Tite. :redface:

TonyL

You mean small enough? Anyway, been there and ruined many. Just be prepard to use a lot pf PT and do a lot of hammering. You have to compress the PT.

It will work. Still make sure you that use the largest diameter punch possible

mecompco

Well, yes, a washer small enough to go through one hole, but big enough not to go through the other end and being more-or-less the same size holes, it wasn't adding up. :)

eharri446

I had an Executive that I needed to disassemble so, I went out into the workshop and got out my HF transfer punches, my trusty hammer, and my pen disassembly vice grips.

I found the smallest transfer punch which would fit through both of the holes in the hardware, which happened to be a 15/64 inch punch, and then was able to tap the nib section out without any deformation of the nib or any undue issues.

Then I found the corresponding transfer punch for the clip and transmission press in, which happens to be a 11/32 inch punch. Did the same as for the nib section and without any additional issue I was able to remove the clip/transmission section.

Now I can fix the messed up CA finish job that I did, which was caused by my medium CA starting to gel.

Hopefully this information will be useful to other members when they have to disassemble an Executive pen.

TonyL

I was not as fortunate as you Elwin. On several occasions, the smaller transfer punch got lodged in the nib. On one occasion the nib separated from the collar. I am glad that you got it worked out.

Top Bottom