Ever seen one of these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Pretty sure I welded that thing in there somehow. Some heavy blows with a hammer did naught.

Attachments

• stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 383
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marmotjr

Would mounting the blank in a chuck on the headstock and the bit in a drill chuck on the tail stock get it out?

OZturner

Bobby, Perhaps a silly suggestion, but one that has worked for me in Metal, and Wood is to try to turn the Bit in the reverse, so the Spiral will unwind on what ever it is clogged against.
You could use a powerful Hand Drill with a reverse on it for the Bit, and hold the blank in a protected Vice.
Probably worth a try, if you haven't already.
Here's hoping.
Brian.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Try letting it set in 100° - 120° water for about 10 minutes (or out in your hot sun for 30). I personally would spray some WD-40 or other thin lube and let it soak down in as much as possible. Every little bit of loosening will help. But lube/WD-40 might prevent CA from sticking to the tubes in the event it does come loose.

After either of the two tries above, while still quite warm or still wet from the soaked in WD-40 - put the blank in a vise and use some vise grips on the bit to work it loose.

Last edited:

WriteON

I own a few. My gut is they are joined at the hip. Fused together. Takes less time and effort to shelf it and start fresh. Simply Write it off...

PapaTim

I've had that happen more than once, ah, I mean - to a friend of mine. The worst one required mounting the drill in a vise, heating it with a torch (not too close to the blank) until the acrylic shavings softened, then twist it out with vice grips. I've actually saved all but one that way. Now I take the easier route - prevention. Clear those shavings twice as often as you think necessary.

Top Bottom