Ever repair an opps the hard way?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
This weekend I was making several filigree pens so I did a batch run. I glued several tubes into the blanks at the same time and set them aside to dry. Later I came back and started to square the ends and discovered that on one the tube had slipped slightly out of the blank.:frown: After staring at it for several seconds I decide that since it hadn't came out very much I'll just trim off the tube while squaring it and HOPEFULLY the shortened length wont effect the assembly.

While squaring the next blank it dawns on me, HEY DUMMY, THAT WAS THE LONG BLANK, your going to turn a tenon down to the tube anyway all you had to do was turn it on that end!:eek:

So, how about it. How many of you have done something similar?

PS. The shortened blank did work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

Right there with you guys. My brainer is drilling both blanks the same size when I have a kit with two sizes of tubes. When the light bulb flickers on, all you can do is shake your head.

nava1uni

I have done this several times. My most recent was on doing a Sierra I spaced out while gluing in a tube and it got stuck about 1/4" and I couldn't get it to budge. So i took a tiny hacksaw and cut it off and glued it into the other end and smoothed off the edges so they weren't ragged. Oh, well, stuff happens.

Top Bottom