Ever have to take one of THESE apart ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I did ! With this Gentlemans FP . When I pressed the centerband with the LONG plastic tube into the upper barrel , it happened . Peeled up the CA , just enough that it bothered me . So , my first thought was to take it apart , put it back on the lathe , and refinish it . Then I decided that would be too much trouble because of the length of that plastic tube and the way they grip the brass tube . So , I chipped off the loose CA and taped off everything but the bare area , and sprayed it with laquer . :redface: :rolleyes: That didn't work out so good ! :curse:It was getting uglier . The ONLY thing left to do was to get the punch and hammer . Pounded on it for as long as I thought I should and more . It did not budge . Then I decide to drill out the plastic sleeve enough to get the thing apart , and everything would be fine . The photo shows how fine it worked out . Hope this short story helps to remind turners like me to slow down , press your pens together easily . NO NEED , to be rushing at ANY point when making a pen . Especially , HIGH dollar ones !

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

The correct thing to do is remove the plastic sleeve first. First you punch out the final end with the clip. You Drill a hole just a hair larger than the inside diameter of the upper tube..a 12 mm hole basically. You take the threaded male coupler minus the little ring piece from another kit and you screw it into the plastic sleeve. Using a hard maple dowel and a wood mallet, you punch down so the sleeve comes out through the top of the cap section. Once the sleeve is removed, you punch out the centerband. Then you take the plastic sleeve and simply push it back into the centerband to re-install the kit.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Jeff ! I'll remember this for the next one . :biggrin:

So , it's still possible , I can still save this blank by doing this ? Gonna give it a try .

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It happens!!!! If this is the first one that this happened to, you're not doing too bad. It's a shame that it happened, now put it aside and move on to the next step.

Bree

The question I want to know the answer to is when the CA bunched up and left a small area of naked wood at the edge, how would you guys have fixed that problem?

Would you risk disassembly to refinish as Chuck did? Would you try using lacquer to fill the gap? Would you have used CA to fill the gap? I'm not really sure what you guys would have done. You are the experts so chime in.
:confused::confused::confused:

workinforwood

The CA would most often not have been damaged when the part was completely pressed in, it would have begun to damage at least by the half way point. <in most cases> This would have been the time to stop and pull the centerband out. Either way, I would remove the parts and re finish the pen using the same type of finish that was originally on the pen. Spray a bit of pam down the tube will help with pushing the plastic piece through the top of the cap. You can clean out the pam easy enough once the pen is dissassembled. Now..you know how to take it apart and you know to ease the parts in nice and slow, keeping them lined up straight as you go and always, before doing any assembly, be sure no CA got into the tubes. If a drop of CA got into the end of the tube and dried, it will cause a pressure point when installing the kit. The CA is easy to remove from in the tube with a knife or pair of scissors.

so the answer is yes, I would dissassemble. I would repair or destroy the pen altogether if need be, salvaging the kit. I will not allow a pen to be sold that has defects of any type that I can see. I can not live with that, it would haunt me forever, but I'm a perfectionist knit picky to the end. If it had been a low end pen, like a euro or cigar, I would not fix it. I would toss it in the cup in the house for anyone to take or use at will and carry on with my time better spent on other things than a $3 kit.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It happens!!!! If this is the first one that this happened to, you're not doing too bad. It's a shame that it happened, now put it aside and move on to the next step.
Thanks Neil ! Guess I'm NOT doing too bad . But , this pen was a special gift , and like Jeff has said , it had a flaw I just couldn't live with . But , I'm moving on !

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The CA would most often not have been damaged when the part was completely pressed in, it would have begun to damage at least by the half way point. <in most cases> This would have been the time to stop and pull the centerband out. Either way, I would remove the parts and re finish the pen using the same type of finish that was originally on the pen. Spray a bit of pam down the tube will help with pushing the plastic piece through the top of the cap. You can clean out the pam easy enough once the pen is dissassembled. Now..you know how to take it apart and you know to ease the parts in nice and slow, keeping them lined up straight as you go and always, before doing any assembly, be sure no CA got into the tubes. If a drop of CA got into the end of the tube and dried, it will cause a pressure point when installing the kit. The CA is easy to remove from in the tube with a knife or pair of scissors.

so the answer is yes, I would dissassemble. I would repair or destroy the pen altogether if need be, salvaging the kit. I will not allow a pen to be sold that has defects of any type that I can see. I can not live with that, it would haunt me forever, but I'm a perfectionist knit picky to the end. If it had been a low end pen, like a euro or cigar, I would not fix it. I would toss it in the cup in the house for anyone to take or use at will and carry on with my time better spent on other things than a $3 kit.
Thanks for the info Jeff ! I'm gonna try to save this pen .

rej19

Chuck, this is a pen you couldn't charge by the hour if you were selling it! I'm sure it takes more time to make the repairs than to build it the first time. Congratulation on the patience.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, this is a pen you couldn't charge by the hour if you were selling it! I'm sure it takes more time to make the repairs than to build it the first time. Congratulation on the patience.
Thanks Ron ! I spent alot of time finishing this thing the first time . :frown:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

I wanted to update this thread , and give tremendous thanks to Jeff Powell for his help in getting this thing apart . Thank you Jeff !

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 93

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NICE save!!!!

Good looking pen!

Let's see, at $8 an hour........................
half a million bucks ain't bad!!!!

workinforwood

Just remember that it's not necessarily MY way. Maybe someone else told me this at one time, or I came up with it on my own after working through other similar type issues at one time or another..who can tell anymore. I do not have these particular problems with finishing/cracking and all that anymore, but like everyone else, I've been down that road! Over time you have issues and come up with solutions and hopefully new ways to prevent the problem from happening again. Then you get to travel down more new bumpy roads where you're back to being clueless again. such is life.

Top Bottom