Ever have one of those days?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

Went out around 1pm to turn a few pens. Get all set up and start turning a piece of african olive I believe. Half way through it and it happens. Took half the blank to the face, saved by glasses.

Setup a piece of african blackwood with sap. get to the point that I am about to shut off the lathe and go to make 1 last pass and you guess it. A catch on the end of the blank that revealed some of the tube. Decided to call it a day.

Went back out about an hour ago to try 1 more time. Overturned a piece of bocote on 1 end. Got so mad I wanted to rip the lathe apart. Don't know what the problem was today. I'll try again tomorrow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

Yep, been there done that.[B)] I feel for you. All you can do is walk away and come back another day. The bad days help us to appreciate the good days even more.[:D]

There are only 2 kinds of turners; those that have had days like that and those who will have.[:eek:)]

(edit in) BTW, you can build up an overturned blank using CA. Did that more times than I can remember.

Paul in AR

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have done that too and for me it was wanting to get into the work too fast. For this very reason, I relate pen turning to golf. It is a mental game as much as anything else. Problems arise in many forms and for many reasons. Everything has to be coordinated just right. For pens, the blades might be sharp or just sharpened, but touch it to iron wood or bocote or . . . and pow! It explodes. Sometimes it is feeding just a tad to fast, Sometimes it is taking too big of a bite - bites that would be OK on other woods.

Keep on and learn from it. It is still fun! [:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lee, I like the gold analogy. Or, in the words of the late John Denver "....Some days are diamonds, some days are stones...."

I FINALLY learned that when the woodturning sprites are buzzing around my head it is time to walk away and come back on another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom