Ever had this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why I can't drill a straight hole. Now that it seems I have found the problem I can't figure out the problem. Look at the pics and you'll see what I mean. I ran a straight edge across the table and it seemed flat. There was nothing under the square and although it wasn't the best thing to use, there was still a pretty significant discrepency on the right side. Anybody have any ideas? BTW, I have contacted Paul about his vise.;)

2007430201530_IMG_1924.jpg

200743020130_IMG_1925.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AFTim

Check the play at the back of your plate support (not sure of the term but hopefully you know what I'm talking about) to see if there is any play in it...another test (do it gently though) is to press down on the lower plate and see if it flexes in any direction. PLEASE do this CAREFULLY because most connections to the upright of the drillpress are made from pot-metal

RollTide

These pics are 180 degrees of each other. I went back out there and adjusted the angle of the table so that it would divide the difference between the two sides. Really couldn't tell much difference. I just don't understand how it can be square on one side and off by almost a 1/16th on an inch on the other side.

RollTide

I checked the table with a steel carpenters square and could not see any light between the two. I also checked the bit with a caliper to make sure there was no taper and it was fine and I checked for straightness. I don't know what to think of it. About the only thing I know to do is shim my vise till all is straight and wait for my PH vise to come in. Adjusting that drill press vise everytime is gonna be a pain till I can get a more permanent solution.

Thanks Y'all,
Steve

Russb

Check the link below. Step 3 shows a method of alighning the talbe I find more accurate than using a square. A wire coat hanger can be substituted for the metal rod.

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/article.do?siteId=2222&categoryId=7002&contentId=1122

jkirkb94

Don't know if this will help, but you might try putting your drill bit higher up in your chuck with just the spirals sticking out. This might? give more stabiltiy to your bit? At this point you could try. Good luck. Kirk[8D]

Grizzlyss

I had a very similar problem, but to a lesser degree, most of it was because my table was not perpendicular to the drill bit from front to back, it was fine from side to side. I turned the table 90 degrees to see if that changed anything, but it did not. It turned out to be the hole in the support, so I ended up having to open the hole up and then shim the male support arm for the table so as to tip the table ever so slightly forwards. It seemed to fix the table, but I need to replace it with some metal as the thin plastic I used is getting crushed over time, and it is starting to slowly go back to what it was ever so slowly.

Sheldon

Kudzu

I would question whether my table was perfectly flat. Seems to me that is is perpendicular to the bit on one side and the other the table slants ever so slightly downward causing the gap

Firefyter-emt

Ok, if that is somehow in the table, and it's not time for a new drill press, it's time for a wood top. Using the method in the second link, you can shim a wood table so that it's nice & square. Add some t-track and you have a great improvement.

This is my table:
@%20060.jpg

Read this article first:" www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/drill_press_tune-up.pdf
Then this one: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-dp-adj.htm

Tide,
I had a similar problem, my DP is a table model from HF.. adequate for now...
finally figured that my work bench was slightly raised in the front.. not 100% level front to back... it's fine from side to side though, so I shimmed up the back side of the DP seems to have solved the problem...

stevers

I didn't read any of the responces.
I had this happen with my bench top DP. My table was not level. I took it off and sanded flat on my table saw table. Now all works fine for drilling.

pssherman

The condition shown in your pictures could be the result of play in the drill bit. Does the bit have any play in it? To find out, see if you can move it side to side at the tip.

Another possibility (very remote) is that the square isn't quite square. To test, place the square against the fence of your table saw and draw a pencil mark on the table. Then flip it over and see if the edge lines up with the pencil mark.

Paul in AR

RollTide

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The links are some really good info. I'm going back out there right now to try and figure it out.[;)] Thanks y'all!

Steve

RollTide

Thanks to everyones' suggestions and the links to drill press tune ups I have corrected most of my problem. Since I didn't have a piece of tubing, I used a double ended off set screw driver. It's the one that has 90's on each. I got the table pretty dog gone square. Now I think my problem is that my vise isn't perfectly flat and square. I think I can use some metal shims from work, used for motor and pump alignment, to get it better for the time being. Then when my PH vise comes in it will even be better. Thanks for all the help!

Steve

Fred

May I suggest that you "roll" the drill bit across a piece of steel plate - like, maybe the table top of a table saw - and watch for the wobble that would be present IF the drill bit is bent. If it is bent it's simply time for a new bit... or you can try to seat the drill shaft into the chuck as deep as possible.

Also, mount the bit as usual in the drill press, slow the drill press down to it's slowest speed, lower the bit to just before it touches anything, and watching the bit turn with the drill on see if you can observe the drill tip to wobble out of round. If it wobbles try a different bit (any size) and repeat this process. IF the second bit wobbles then start checking everything about the drill press.

A bit is kind of like a rifle scope in that it doesn't take being a little off to make a hugh difference down range. Good luck with this and keep us posted as to your findings as we all learn from our friend's problems. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom