Ever had a bad night?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

several days ago I finished up 6 pens and had not one single problem. They all turned out nice.

I started 6 more pens a few days ago and was finishing them up tonight and I;

Chipped off the end of one of the large barrels when sanding.

Blew out a blank taking a small amount of material off with the skew

Cracked a CA finish when press fitting the parts on one

Glued a blank to delrin bushings so well that when I pulled them out the CA finish broke off on each end

Had some issues with a CA finish over a cigar label and sanded it until I frayed the edge of the label and ruined it

Made a pen with an M3 metal blank and when I was getting ready to sand it noticed a pin prick size hole in it from a bubble when it was cast

Made another pen with an M3 metal blank blank and lost the metal polish they sent me so I can't finish it.

I ended up with one pen and a lot of fixing to do tomorrow. I figured it was a 'bad night' and came inside.

Anything like that ever happen to anyone else? Just curious.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yep there are 2 ways to handle it. 1- quit and regroup, Find something else to do until the gremlins leave. 2- buckle down grit your teeth and bull your way through it.
BTDT no T shirt.

PenMan1

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going to a bar!

Have yourself a favorite beverage, rest for a bit, reflect on what is happening, then readdress the problem. You will be surprised how often that works.

johnnycnc

Absolutely been there. It stinks when nothing goes right..
I just back up, regroup and get away from it, go do something else.
Come back the next day, or week..everything is right as rain then.
So yeah, don't feel like the Lone Ranger :)

aggromere

the only good thing was I tried out that new live center I got from you. It is really nice. I like how it is closed completely on the business end so nothing can get up in it. It was way quieter (sp) than the other two I have.

spnemo

Some nights I spend more time fixing problems than turning pens. However, when the problem is fixed, the pen often looks better that it would have if I never had a problem. I look at those rough nights as a blessing in disguise.

GoodTurns

and the worst part is you are doing everything EXACTLY LIKE BEFORE! mystery blowout on materials that have always behaved...CA that clouds instantly...a perfectly tuned saw that decides to make a right turn.... been there!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Yep... Definately been there... I usually quit as soon as a 2nd (maybe 3rd) thing goes wrong. I don't want to over think things and thus change my habits to something where I'm distracted and hurt myself.

cnccutter

Peter I always find a nice glass of scotch and a stool bring things into perspective. its all fun... even the challenging nights when you say AHHHHHH!!

even the best of turners have their off days.

Erik

robutacion

Oh yeah, one buck for every time I had things going south on me, and I could enjoy a nice holiday in paradise Island...!:cool:

Until some years ago, I would not accept failure and would not leave it alone until I got it right, that can be a very expensive and exhausting option but with age and some less energy to fight the "green gremlins", I have another sort of fight but this time with myself, and that refers to the "inclination" to go back to the old habits and be a "bulldog" with everything so, and after a few cups of coffee, I convince myself to turn my back and look away for the day, at least.

That has proven to be a lot more difficult than I ever anticipated but, I sort of getting used to it now...! :rolleyes:

There are reasons why things all of a certain go wrong, 99% of the times is our fault, even tough you thing that you didn't do any thing different than before, and if one would decide to "dismantle" all the steps and minutes in reverse order and in slow motion, the answers will be always there but, the last thing we want to do after we messed-up is to do that, huh...???

If I had also a buck for every cigarette and beer (or something else!) that is "consumed" under that excuse and while staring at "things" I would be a millionaire this time around...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Life is a B__@_ sometimes, and we don't have to marry one...!!! so they say up here...!:)

Don't worry, things will get better again...!

Cheers
George

David Keller

Sure... I've been there, and I'll probably make the trip back at some point.

When it happens, I like to chuck up a big chunk of something green and make long curly shavings... It's hard to screw that up, and it sure is fun.

Skotty

This is absolutely right on target! The other night I blew a blank right out of the gate.Thinking it was the blanks fault I pushed on.Got all the way thru polishing and found out that Click Sierra's have different length tubes then regular ones :eek:Then on the third try my skew was feeling frisky and decided to chew alot more then intended.

After 2 beers decided it was time to call it a night

Boz

I find that with some jobs, not just pens, when it all goes wrong no matter how hard you try you can't make it better. I especially learned this when I was a photgrapher and photofinisher. Best to quit and try again another day. Since the Doc has told me lay off the beer and scotch it makes it even more troublesome.

snyiper

I think most everyone has had those days, when my time comes around and Im done cussing the walls I usually just clean the shop a bit looking for that piece I can never find.

Padre

Yup, did what you did. Just stop for the night and try again tomorrow.

phillywood

Pete, you can balme in the full moon. Didn't you guys have full moon few nights ago?
On the serious notes, that's part of life and like George was saying if someone can slow play the moments that lead up to the mistakes you'll find that it's us that making those mistakes. In any activities, once you ahve done enough of it that your brain percieves it as a repitition than you are bound to have those kind of moments of mistakes.

dl351

I think the worst for me was one night spent working on my first sale. It was a black titanium Navigator with a beautiful HRB blank from Nolan. Everything was going fine, then a chunk tore off of the tube. Fortunately, I was able to find all of the pieces and glue it back together. The next day I finished the pen, and all was right in the world (well, in that instant at least). CA glue was my best friend that night.

feron

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going to a bar!

Have yourself a favorite beverage, rest for a bit, reflect on what is happening, then readdress the problem. You will be surprised how often that works.

Pretty much the reason I have bad turning nights lol!

And yeah, been there, had more then I'd like to admit.

I just redid a CA finish on a pen for a good friend for the FOURTH time... came out good this last time, poor pen is significantly slimmer than when I started...gah..

kludge77

Totally! I usually do the grown up thing and throw a proper fit.

If I was to give myself advise, I say "walk away from it Peter"

Just like you did. Heres to better luck tomorrow.

ctubbs

Nope! Never happened to me. I never fell a tree any way except the way planed, never let the skew get away, never had CA glue my hand to the towel, never used the wrong tube, never suddenly found brass shinning through my prized burl blank, never ... oh what the hell! You all know I'm lieing like a good Persian rug! Two ways to handle it, 1] get roaring drunk,:party: 2] keep going and do much more damage.:frown::tongue::biggrin::biggrin::)
Charles

IPD_Mrs

If it was easy, then anyone could produce a top notch pen every time. As the bumper sticker says **** happens. What makes it worse, as each new issue arises the frustration rises with it. What you did is part of being a good craftsman. You just have to get away from it for a bit. Re-group and attack with a clear head. Once everything is ironed out you will wonder what you got so upset for.

aggromere

What i ended up with

Well I got to work on seeing what I could salvage from last nite and here it is. 4 pens from a start of 6. From left to right:

Brick dust Pr upper from EB, african black wood lower. If you look you can see a ring just up from the nib. It is perfectly smooth, but that is the seam where I cut away the ruined CA finish. I did a better job on the other end.

Red/black ebonite upper and Honduran rosewood lower. I just put a different upper barrel on it.

The last two are kind of neat. Believe it or not, "my kitties" was a popular cigar brand pre 1950. both are Casien uppers and a Honduran rosewood and amboyna burl lower.

All in all, okay, but not my best.

The bands are all antique unused bands from my personal collection, all from 1920 to 1950. I have been collecting for years for no good reason until now, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 92

phillywood

Nope! Never happened to me. I never fell a tree any way except the way planed, never let the skew get away, never had CA glue my hand to the towel, never used the wrong tube, never suddenly found brass shinning through my prized burl blank, never ... oh what the hell! You all know I'm lieing like a good Persian rug! Two ways to handle it, 1] get roaring drunk,:party: 2] keep going and do much more damage.:frown::tongue::biggrin::biggrin::)
Charles

:confused: What the heck persian Rug got to do with lying. I am Persian ,but never heard of this one before.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

ctubbs

Charles

:confused: What the heck persian Rug got to do with lying. I am Persian ,but never heard of this one before.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

Persian rugs are noted for being so soft and plyable that when unrolled for the first time, they will lay perfectly flat on the floor with no corners or edges flipping up. Very good high quality product.:) I can not afford one.
Charles

Top Bottom