Ever forget ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
to change the drill bit when making a Gentlemans pen ? Yup , I did it ! Drilled both blanks with 12.5 drill . It works out that I have two blanks , and two kits . The blanks are worthless wood blanks and look very similar , so may not be too noticible . Slow down ! :redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I always start with the 10.5, just waiting for the day that that happens. Then I'm not totally screwed.

babyblues

I don't make mistakes. I thought I made a mistake one time............but I was mistaken.

But wouldn't that be a mistake to mistakenly believe that you had made a mistake when indeed you had not? Because if you had not made the mistake of thinking you had made a mistake, you would have been correct that you had made a mistake, which means that you were mistaken about being mistaken. Clear? Good. :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You better have the blank maker start writing notes on the blanks for you....LOL At least they didn't blow up.
LOL , he's usually pretty good about those notes ! Guess he just has too much going on right now , OR has alot of confidence in me . :biggrin:

cnirenberg

Chuck,
Yeah, I've been there and done that. I get slightly distracted and let the "routine" just flow...I usually have some kind of calamity waiting for me when I get my head out of my.....

jkeithrussell

I make mistakes on every batch of pens that I make. I set out parts and pieces for 8 slims yesterday and made 3 or 4 stupid goofs just getting the blanks cut and tubes glued. Didn't help that it was 110 in my garage and the mosquitoes were eating me alive. One of my frustrations with pen-making is that I can never seem to get all the kinks worked out.

ldb2000

to change the drill bit when making a Gentlemans pen ? Yup , I did it ! Drilled both blanks with 12.5 drill . It works out that I have two blanks , and two kits . The blanks are worthless wood blanks and look very similar , so may not be too noticible . Slow down ! :redface:

Boy I'm glad I've never done that :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, I try to drill the larger hole first. IF I am going to "blow one out" it will usually be the larger one. IF that happens, the longer one that was destined for the smaller hole CAN become a sierra. Or a "complimentary color" pen emerges where I thought a match was going to develop.

thewishman

I always cut my blanks a bit long. Made the same drilling mistake on a special pen last week, but caught it before it got down to the critical length - just barely. Whew!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Here's my recovery !

Attachments

• IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 71

DurocShark

Good work! I've gotten into the habit of popping the chuck off my lathe when I'm done with a particular bit. If the chuck with a bit is on the lathe bed I know I need to look at it and make sure I have the right bit in it.

aggromere

I always drill the smaller hole first, just in case I do drill both with the same bit. My problem with kits is the way they package them. They put the same plate types in the little bags and usually these are pieces that don't go together. I have, many times, put an accent ring on a nib or finial piece that doesn't belong just because I didn't think and because they came in the same bag.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks guys , I think the key thing for me to remember is to drill the small hole first . Also , paint the tubes , when turning PR or resin . My blank maker sometimes writes that on my blanks for me . :biggrin::redface:

Top Bottom