European tenon formation, how to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bedangerous

OK, I am new to pen turning and the lathe. I have made 5 pens now after considerable reading, watching and research. 2 cigars, 2 comforts, and a bolt action that have come out well for my startup. I have a few European kits from Woodcraft because they looked a little nicer than a slimline but they require the turning of a tenon. What is the best way and tools to turn a tenon and any tips would be appreciated.

Oh, unfortunately this hobby is addictive.

Thanks,
Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I like to turn my tenons with a parting tool. Make sure it's sharp. I usually turn the blank down to round (get rid of all the flat spots), then I do the tenon. That way if there is a little tearout (which usually happens at the surface ) it gets removed when I finish turnng the blank down to the final diameter. I'm sure there are other and better ways, but that is how I do it.

Tip: If you don't acheive a great fit of the centerband on the tenon a little drop of superglue with fix things right up.

PS: I forgot to say "Welcome to IAP"

rblakemore

I use a lot of EZ tools; and have made a number of Europeans. I make the tenon with either an EZ tool square blade or parting tool. My wife and I have also obtained a tenon tool and I use that a lot also.

Jerry944t

Lots of good advice. After you do your first tenon it will become easy. I happen to have a 1/8" chisel that does a perfect job. Another thing I've tried with success is an Exacto saw. I hesitate to reccomend that because it can grab and do damage to the blank and you.
I make my initial cut with a parting tool to establish location. Then out comes the small chisel.
Regardless of the tool used make sure it is 90 degrees to the blank.

Top Bottom