European Round Top Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yellowtruck75

I bought a few European Round Top pen kits from Rockler and I am having a heck of a time getting them right. The bushings that I got to match it don't seem to match up with the center band and the instructions are horrible. Anyone have a Youtube video out on how to turn this pen? I might just be dumb (well I know that I am:)) but I just can't get it right.

Thanks

hilltopper46

Is it the 7mm or the 8mm (or O-size drill bit) pen? There is a lot of difference between the two, but the descriptions can be close enough to one another to be confusing.

I just went out on their site and it would be VERY easy to confuse the two instructions between these two kits.

The 7mm kit requires a tennon be turned on the upper barrel part way through the barrel material. The centerband slides on over this and is glued to the barrel material.

The 8mm (or O-size drill bit) pen requires all the barrel material be parted off the brass tube. The centerband slides on over the brass tube, where the barrel material has been removed.

Last edited:

PenMan1

The problem is that you are turning to the bushings. This is nearly impossible for any European pens. These particular bushings are made to "work" with several different European models. This means that NONE fit exactly right.

A caliper really is a requirement for the designers as even the tenon on exactly the same pen with different plating requires different sizing. Beginnig to measure and fit every joint with calipers will help you to become a much better pen maker, much faster.

Respectfully submitted.

fyrcaptn

+ on calipers
at best bushings are rough guides
I've been asked why I caliper check every part on each pen kit
my reply was why would you not?
I've seen nice wood stained with sanding residue from the bushings
which means those bushings are no longer the original size...

Top Bottom