European pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

How are these kits to make?? I am looking to pick a couple sets to fill a request (read order) for father's day. Any tips, tricks?? Also it looks like the drill bits are 2 diffrent sizes???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

There are two Euro kits that I have made. One is a 7mm (Cross) which takes a 7mm bit for both tubes. The only tricky part is the tenon that is turned to accept the centerband. Other than that, they are pretty straight forward.

The 8mm (Parker) That I have made used an 8mm bit for both tubes. The centerband was similiar although the wood was turned down to the tube (As opposed to a tennon). I have had many problems witht he mechanism in those kits for some reason. I think several others have mentioned it too as I recall.

Cheers,

Fangar

gerryr

The 8mm Euro is a lot touchier to make correctly than the 7mm Euros. Tube length on the 7mm kits is not critical, but it is on the 8mm. If you haven't made a Euro before, I would definitely recommend the 7mm. Another option is the Olympia from AZ Silhouette. It's basically a 7mm Euro but uses an 8mm bit for the upper barrel and has a slightly different clip/finial. It still requires a tenon, but it is cut down to the tube.

thewishman

If you decide to do a 7mm, get the CSUSA bushings (Woodcraft sells the CSUSA 7mm bushings as well). They have a two-piece center bushing that slides over the tenon to make sure the size is correct. Those bushings are MUCH easier to use than the Berea bushings that AS sells (BB himself told me that.)

stevers

I use the 7mm kit as well. pretty simple for the most part. Just be sure and creep up on the center bushing. If you under cut it even CA is a questionable hold. I usualy use the michrometer and messure as I go untill I get fairly close(0.002 or better). Then use the messuring bushing.

Firefyter-emt

Guys, which is the 7mm kit?? Is this the "mini euro pen" from CSUSA?I try to buy the bushings for the kit I am usign unless I know they will cross over. Kinda steep with mandrel points, the "kit" is $31.50 (although, I have the 7mm bit..)
Then we have the "Deco Euopean" that uses a 7mm bit. I would like to add something with a little more class than a slimline, but not as big as a cigar.

jcollazo

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Guys, which is the 7mm kit?? Is this the "mini euro pen" from CSUSA?I try to buy the bushings for the kit I am usign unless I know they will cross over. Kinda steep with mandrel points, the "kit" is $31.50 (although, I have the 7mm bit..)
Then we have the "Deco Euopean" that uses a 7mm bit. I would like to add something with a little more class than a slimline, but not as big as a cigar.

The 7mm Euro kit part# (Ti) is 050-4120. If you have it, it's on page 102 of the new catalag. The accessory kit for this one is $6.99.

Joe

Firefyter-emt

OK.. That was the one I was thinking of originaly. But below the 10k box it lists the pencil as using a "S" bit? They also have diffrent bushings, so basicly the pen & pencil set are 2 completely diffrent beast's. Would also have to make a sleve for my pen mandral? (too lazy to look up the size of an S bit compared to a 7mm I really like the look of this kit over the slimline though..

Rifleman1776

I like the 7mm Euro with the two-part center band bushing. The needed tenon is not difficult to turn. But this thread comes up with some regularity. There are those who turn the 8mm because they say it is easier than the 7mm. I thing the 7mm is easier. If you do order the 7mm, I suggest you look for the stud sets for the rounded caps too. These allow you to turn a matching end cap for the pen, a nice touch. And these are so small you wouldn't want to pay shipping just for these by them selves.

Firefyter-emt

Well, I can play with them at my own leasure, they selected the beaded slimline style with the .5mm pencil. I personaly would not even think of a pencil smaller than .7mm I wish I could get a nice kit with .9mm lead, I am a bit rough on them as I work as an insurance appraiser in the field. The good thing is if someone is going to abuse one, it's me. [}:)] Anyway, the wife's father used to be a draftsman so I am a little nervous too...

By the way, this deal was with a friend who works with exotic hardwood and got a me a great deal on their scrap wood. ($1.00 a pound, So far I got some rosewood, paduck, goncallo alves & imbuya.. and there is more where that came from!)I made 70 blanks from $12.00 worth of wood so I made him a quick slimline in some beautifuly figured goncallo alves he got me as a thank you gift. He showed it to the guys he works with, I got 2 sales there, now his wife with the pen/pencil set. Another friend wants one made for his father.. [^] Feels good it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom