European (Mont) Twist Pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggR

I bought the European twist pen kit (126454 item) and bushing set from my local WoodCraft store. It has 7mm tubes, WoodCraft calls it the European, PSI calls it the PK-MONT Designer twist. I haven't made one of these yet. The instructions seemed wrong because they say to cut the long blank to 2-3/4" yet the tube is 2.362", so 2-3/8 sounds right. Sure enough, the PSI instructions for the same kit say 2-3/8. OK, that's solved, BUT....

WoodCraft instructions for the tenon cut for the center band say 3/16" wide, while PSI says to cut the tenon 7/32" wide. The center band measures 0.237" wide. If I cut the tenon 7/32 (0.218) wide, I'll only have about 0.020 overlap of the band on the lower blank. If I cut it 3/16 (0.187) I'll have 0.050 overlap. The question is: which looks best, or what do you guys recommend? I want to think having more overlap is better.

Whatcha guys think [?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I recommend no centerband at all. My Clemson pen uses that kit with no centerband.

Hey, you asked! [:D]

GreggR

If I use no centerband (perfectly fine answer!), wouldn't I want to answer the same question... how much overlap of the upper blank over the lower blank looks best? [:)]

jedgerton

Skye, how do you turn the PKMONT without the center band? Specifically how do you get the lower section to fit into the upper section?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Don't try to comapre apples to oranges.
Use the WC directions for WC kits.
They may appear similar and very well migth be from the same Mfgr.
WC normally uses Berea kits, PSI has their own.
The kit is essentially a slimline with a hata nd a belt. They are very forgiving.
As far as the tenon is concerned if you use it CB a little measuring will answer your questions.
Lay the components out as they would be assembled.

Jerryconn

I agree with Eagle on his main points, use the WC instructions for the WC kit. and the Euro, Designer kits are very forgiving. I would also not be surprised if Skye said there was no overlap upper barrel to lower. If you want to overlap just measure the diameter of the finish lower barrel at the top and give yourself a few thousanths clearance, You could then completely remove or expose the lower end of the top barrel and glue a piece of wood there to replace the metal center band. Lots of ways to skin the cat. [;)]
Just do all the measuring the Eagle recommends.

Agree with Eagle.. us the instructions that goes with kit... I like to do the European.. haven't tried one without CB yet, if you do, probably just flush fit.. but I turn carefully and measure often... towards end, I put an old CB on the mandrell and watch the fit closely... big thing is make SURE you have a square shoulder for the CB to fit against... I've lost a few pens because I didn't get it quite square and it just doesn't look right.

clewless

Originally posted by GreggR
<br />
WoodCraft instructions for the tenon cut for the center band say 3/16" wide, while PSI says to cut the tenon 7/32" wide. The center band measures 0.237" wide. If I cut the tenon 7/32 (0.218) wide, I'll only have about 0.020 overlap of the band on the lower blank. If I cut it 3/16 (0.187) I'll have 0.050 overlap. The question is: which looks best, or what do you guys recommend? I want to think having more overlap is better.

I found making the tenon 3/16ths is better. It provides a little coverage for the end of the lower barrel, which I think looks better. It's worked for me on both PSI and Berea kits.

Skye

Yep, no overlap. I use a pen mill on both sides, they mate up perfectly.

I'll break out some measurements on my favorites soon.

If you have a toothpick holder bushing, I use that as a center bushing and found that slightly larger larger than the two sizes makes for a nice look. I turned one that looked too small, it was my dad's favorite rather than the ones I like. It's all in the eye of the buyer [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom