Euro pen style help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck B

I'm a newbie I've done a few slimline pens I asked what other type I should do i was advised euro styl & cigar. Well I just picked up a euro style & bushings & mandril from Woodcraft. It looks like the bushings are diferent sizes. in the kit I have

1 center band bushing
1 tapered bushing
2 straight bushings.

Can someone please post pics on how to turn with these bushings I'm not sure. I would rather get advice from experts before i ruin the kit by turning it wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Woodcraft has insturctions on their website.Links to instructions are on the page with each pen kit. Here is the euro instructions.
http://tinyurl.com/ktvlc

The center bushing is two pieces...the stepped bushig and the sizing ring for gauging the tennon which the euro center band will fit onto.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by recon
<br />I'm a newbie I've done a few slimline pens I asked what other type I should do i was advised euro styl & cigar. Well I just picked up a euro style & bushings & mandril from Woodcraft. It looks like the bushings are diferent sizes. in the kit I have

1 center band bushing
1 tapered bushing
2 straight bushings.

Can someone please post pics on how to turn with these bushings I'm not sure. I would rather get advice from experts before i ruin the kit by turning it wrong.

Firefyter-emt

:edit for being an idiot and not reading the whole message: [:I]

The cigar is far easier than the Eruo due to the tenon needed for the center band, but it is not that bad.

On this topic, how many people use that "extra" bushing that allows you to lock the tennon band to the bushing. I assume this is locked in place once the tennon has been cut to make the outside cutting eaiser, right? Is it really worth buying it??

wayneis

That "extra" bushing you asked about also helps while sanding to keep the edge nice and sharp, without something like that it is really easy to slide the sandpaper over the edge and mess it up.

Wayne

Firefyter-emt

I kinda worded that badly. The extra bushing I am talking about is not the sizing ring that comes with the euro kit, but the one they sell as an upgrade with the band that can be locked with a set screw. I think it's CSUSA that has it.

penbros

i turned a koa euro today wish i could post a picture cuz it is nice. i njoticed that the instructions above said the front blank is the long one. when i put mine together the front blank was too long for the refil. luckily i just had to push the twist mechanism in more to make it work

JimQ

If you read the directions, they say to mark the transmission at a certain depth, and press in that far. Yes they are supposed to go in about half way.

JimQ

clewless

Made one in a hurry the other day and damned if I didn't get the blanks backwards. If you push the trans in bit by bit, you can find the proper length to salvage the pen...doh[B)][^]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by JimQ
<br />If you read the directions, they say to mark the transmission at a certain depth, and press in that far. Yes they are supposed to go in about half way.

JimQ

My experience is that if you depend on marks to judge depth you will have problems. I just insert, test, push a little more, test again, and again if necessary until it is right.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />... The extra bushing I am talking about is not the sizing ring that comes with the euro kit, but the one they sell as an upgrade with the band that can be locked with a set screw. I think it's CSUSA that has it.
I have one but personally don't think it's worth the money. I prefer to use an extra centerband. I have a few extras since I don't always ues them on the European pens.

As for the correct depth for the transmission, once you get one set at the right depth, measure it and cut a piece of scrap wood to that size, then use it as a gauge next to the pen when installing the transmission. This will get you very close to the desired depth.

Dario

About how deep the transmission should be pressed in.

I use the REFILL to measure it. It is always accessible (to me atleast). During assembly, while pressing the tranny in, I just put the refill next to it and press until I am over by about 1/8".

Note: it depends on how your press head is. I use wood blocks and the tranny eat through it a bit. Experiment and try it a few times, stop earlier at first and measure by putting the refill in and testing) then you will find the right one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom