Euro Pen Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

baker4456

I have a customer who has a twist type Euro pen. The mechanism slips inside the barrell after the pen is fully open or closed. I have had many pens of my own with the cross style mechanism that do this eventually but I have never had a customer complain untill now. Does any one have a resolution to this problem other than gluing. I have changed the mechanism but the problem reoccures.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

When you say it slips do you mean it turns in the tube or does it push in or out of the tube? Where did you get the kits from and which ones are they? I've never had the problem but you may be able to use loc-tite to hold the transmission.

rick_lindsey

Is the point retracting when it aughtn't, or is it that one can continue turning the upper barrel past fully open/fully closed? Sounds like the transmission is losing it's "grip" on the upper barrel.

Afraid i can't help much, my problem has been the exact opposite (takes a great deal of force to get the upper barrel on or off).

-Rick

JimB

Rick - I think your problem might be you have a very, very small amount of glue in the tube. Whenever I have had your problem I have found a few second with a round file in the tube fixes it.

As far as the original question, I don't really think I understand what is happening so I can't help.

chriselle

I would....either
Try a single wee drop of CA or epoxy at the entrance of the brass tube. If it's too tight afterwards sand it down a bit. See how that works.

But probably..

Replace the transmission.

baker4456

Chriselle,
Thats what I did. I put a couple of drops in the tube and used a tooth pick to spread it around the inside of the tube. This customer had one of my first pens and he has worn out the tube. I had refurbished this pen for him in July and replaced the transmission but it didn't last long. He uses it constantly and loves it. He purchased a fountain and a roller ball from me today. Thanks for your help.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've never had this problem but you might try to give the transmittion a slight squeeze right above the top of the bottom section of the pen.

It is the top half. The mechanism turns inside the tube. I think this kit came from Wood Craft

David,
I've had one or two that do this... There is another fix, but you have to be very careful how you do it... pull the top off the pen and very very slightly crunch the top of the transmission... you want to make it slightly oval... only slightly or you won't be able to get it back into the top. That should create enough friction to turn the transmission and stop the spin.

Top Bottom