Euro/MontBlanc style preferences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

I do a lot of MontBlanc-style pens like the 7 mm Euro from Wood Craft, but I prefer a Parker refill, so I've been doing some using the PSI PKMONT-PAR kit. Is it my imagination, or is PSI's Parker mechanism a little rough? Doesn't seem to twist as easily as others.

One other minor gripe with the PKMONT-PAR is that if you don't want the coupling ring to show, you have to cut the center band tenon a little short to leave some overhang to hide the coupling ring.

Is there another good MontBlanc/Euro Parker/8mm style out there? Has anybody else experienced the same frustrations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Carl,

If I understand correctly, you may be encountering a characteristic of the "EURO" look. The top of the bottom tube can interfere with the operation of the pen if it is a little "fat" (VERY LITTLE!!!)

Also, if you encounter "out of round" in your turnings (as I have frequently), THIS will make the Euro style operate poorly. Also, crud in the upper tube is a problem. In short, the kit is GREAT when everything is within spec, but if you are "off" by just a little, the kit lets you know it.

(Do a cigar, they are MUCH more forgiving!!!)
FWIW[:)][:)]

gerryr

The only other 8mm Euro pen is made by Berea and it has it's own set of problems. It is a double twist and the length of the upper barrel has to be very precise or it won't work at all. It does have a black finial which I personally like. I've only made a few of PKMONT-PAR, but I didn't notice a problem with the transmission. I liked them so much I bought a bunch from PSI so I could replace the Berea transmission.

alamocdc

I've made numerous PSI PKMONT-PARs and not had a problem with the mechanism. Like Gerry said, Berea makes an 8mm Euro that uses Parker refills, but I've had one of less than a dozen mechanisms fail with this one. I like everything else about the Berea better except the mechanism.

Rudy Vey

I also believe that the Berea double twist is the better one. There are some problems if the length is not correct or maybe the centerband squeezes the tube a bit. Personally, I do like this mechanism quite a bit. Its the same as in their Flattop pen, and I have made hundreds of them and had maybe one or two that did not perform perfectly.

cdcarter

Originally posted by ed4copies
(Do a cigar, they are MUCH more forgiving!!!)
FWIW[:)][:)]

One quick (albeit crude) fix I've used for the fat "top of the bottom" issue with Euros is to ream out the top of the bottom a little with a countersinking bit. Works surprisingly well.

I do like the cigars, especially with something like Tulipwood to show off the grain. I tend to like a fatter pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom