Euro / Mont Blanc Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dweir

I have been turning some Euro/Mont Blanc style pens, and would like to do some without the center band. What do y'all use to burn rings to make the wood look like it is banded? I am thinking some sandpaper rope or do you use piano wire to burn the rings? Where can you find the sanding rope/wire (I looked at rockler and woodcraft sites to no avail), maybe I am using the wrong keywords.

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

I don't use that look often, but I've got a piece of guitar string for it. I got it from an instrument shop that repairs guitars, and he dug some pieces out of his trash and gave them to me. Make sure you have a way to hold the ends that won't burn your fingers...that wire gets hot.

OldWrangler

Make sure you tie the ends to small dowels of wood or something. Don't make a finger loop in case it snags. It could take a finger off in a heartbeat. And it gets hot too but that won't take a finger.

karlkuehn

Banned
Dave, you're looking for K.C. Wireburners. They have little wooden balls attached to the ends. They come in three different sizes and I've burned hundreds of lines with mine and they're still going strong. :)

Like Wrangler says, NEVER hold the wire in your fingers or you'll wind up short by one.

Hello

I use guitar and mandolin strings. the higher strings on a guitar aren't usually wound (I prefer the wound ones for burning). by using mandolin strings also, I get a wider range of line widths.

Raynald

Originally posted by dweir

I have been turning some Euro/Mont Blanc style pens, and would like to do some without the center band. What do y'all use to burn rings to make the wood look like it is banded? I am thinking some sandpaper rope or do you use piano wire to burn the rings? Where can you find the sanding rope/wire (I looked at rockler and woodcraft sites to no avail), maybe I am using the wrong keywords.

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

Dave,

Look in the Woodcraft catalog for sanding rope/abrasive cord they have it in three different grits (120, 150, and 220) also you could look online on the woodcraft.com site and search for abrasive cord.

Raynald

wickford

craft stores normally carry wire too. I think its in the fake flower area as that's what some craft folk use it for...Very cheap too...Like $1 for a pound of wire which will probably last years...

dweir

Thanks for the input folks! Sanding rope was the term I was looking for. I am going to order the KC wire burners from CSUSA.

Thanks again,

Dave

Rifleman1776

I use what is called ordinary black wire. It is commonly used by gardeners for holding things up. No need to spend money on ready made wire thingys. Pens are small, use caution as it is v-e-r-r-r-y easy to burn through and cut your blank in half when burning rings.

Top Bottom