Euro Finial thread?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

Hello! Does anyone know the thread on a standard 7mm Euro pen's finial? I'd like to try something a little different (turning a wooden finial rather than using the metal one) but I think it may be easier to find a little bolt or threaded rod that's the right thread and embed it in a chunk-o-wood rather than trying to cut down an existing finial!

I was thinking of squaring the blank end, "assembling" the finial, unscrewing it, and then screwing my wood finial blank on with some sort of spacer that's the same thickness as the clip... it'd have to be turned as a closed end pen I suppose, but I want to learn to do that anyways :).

-Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

Couldn't you turn the 'cap' & finish it then when parting it off, leave it 1/4" long & the correct diameter, & CA it into the threaded insert on the cap end?

Bats

Because I just had to work out the same thing for myself (and because CSUSA no longer sells the studs), I'm going to try sending this post back through a time machine from the year 2021. If you don't receive it in 2009 in time to do any good, maybe there's a chance that someone in 2033 will find it useful. Or at least I'll be able to look it up when I forget.

On the two kits I have in front of me (one a "Designer" from Woodturningz, the other an unbranded kit of uncertain provenance) it looks like the finial thread is a .147" or .154" x 36tpi, which is probably (although I don't have one around to test) just an undersized #8-36 (not the coarser threaded #8-32) which according to ANSI standards should, in an ideal world where such things are actually followed, be .1577-.1640".

Top Bottom