Euro Dimensions at CB??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Hi folks. I'm trying to turn some euros and I've never had any experience with them at all. It seems like there's a cb sizing ring, that shows how thick to make the barrel, right at the tenon, but I can't find it. Can anyone help me? I could scrap a CB ring thingie, but then I'd be one short and it would probably not last long. Also, I 've heard that I should turn the tenon a fraction short, so that the nib barrel inserts slightly more into the clip barrel (through the CB ring thing). Is this right and if so, how long should I make the tenon. Remember that I'm brand new at doing measured tenons.
Thanks,
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Can't find it? It comes with a bushings set. If you are talking about the standard 7mm Euro, the ring makes the tenon cutting job simple and quick. Just order a new set of bushings, they are cheap. Don't mess with recommended cutting dimensions. Cut as instructed. I use a 1/4" parting tool.

BigRob777

Frank,
Ahh, the first mistake from the Chinese kit suppliers. I'll send them an e-mail, to see about getting that ring. I bought 3 sets of bushings from them, for about 30 cents apiece. I'll have to see if I have a 1/4" tool. I have so many of them, but only one of them is any good. Can anyone post a pic of the ring?
Thanks,
Rob

BigRob777

Just to make sure I'm communicating well, it's not the bushing depth shoulder, on the bushing, it's the thing that tells me how fat to make the pen, before I cut off the tenon.
Rob

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Ahhh,
Here it is:
Designer Sizing Sleeve
I found it at woodturningz for $2.75

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, is the Designer the same pen as the 7mm Euro as from CS?
Regardless, I would be cautious about using a bushing from a different supplier without putting the micrometer to everything. I'd be happy to post a picture, but it looks like a....uh....small ring. You can cut the tenon with a smaller parting tool but the 1/4" removes more wood faster and is very close to the exact width you need for the center band to fit right.

clthayer

I use this http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkmont-bux.html Works great, cut the tenon then slide the sleeve over and use it to size the rest of the upper barrel. I believe that PSI's directions say to cut the tenon 7/32, and others say 1/4. If you get it too big you can always barrel trim the excess away.

Christian

BigRob777

Frank,
I'm not even sure that these pens are the same as CSUSA's. They're from China. I'm going to send them an e-mail to see what I should use.
Thanks,
Rob

GBusardo

Rob, I have one of those sizing sleeves things that Chirstian suggested, I never use it. It dont fit on my mandrel with both barrels and i found it easier to just use a spare sleeve. If you would like me to mail it to you, send me an email.

Brewmeister35

Rob, the chinese kits are 7/32" tenon and a scrapped center band OR a sizing sleeve will work. I'm betting one of your kits was cheaper than a sizing sleeve [;)]

BigRob777

Brewmeister,
Thanks for putting that into perspective for me. I'll use one of the centers. I can always make one from blackwood, or something, or I'll have an extra set of tubes, etc.[:D]
Rob

cdcarter

In my experience, the sleeve that comes with the bushings sometimes doesn't fit the same as the ring itself, so I use the ring from the kit to ensure a good fit. Just have to be careful to nick it, and take it off before you start sanding. I get tighter fits that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom