Euro/ Designer W/ Out Center Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olson86

Dear Folks,
The problem I'm having is in slightly recessing the lower barrel into the upper barrel. As it is accepted with the supplied center band.
I tried drilling the upper barrel after turning the blank. Big disaster.
Would you please offer your suggestions.
Regards, Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickTaylor

You could step-drill with two different size bits before you turn it. One for the tube (all the way through) and one for the recess. Then you just have to worry about trimming the tube inside the recess. I haven't tried it, but would like to see your results.

Narwhale

Chuck,
I REALLY like to modify this kit [:D] and the pens turn out beautiful.
That said, I turn the top section of the pen's bottom section to the same diameter as the centerband and then just put a chamfer or radius on the top of the bottom pen section.

Assembled, the body is one smooth flowing curve rather than the stepped lines one normally thinks of. The radius on the top of the bottom section breaks the lines slightly to make the centerband fit right in. One can not see a gap between them either that way.

It works very good for me and many people (including myself) really like the grip size. [8D]

Rich S.

cdcarter

Is this the PSI Parker Euro style? If so, I think I know what you're talking about. The center band doesn't quite cover the coupler on the lower barrel. If it weren't for that, it wouldn't be a bad pen. But the coupler showing makes it look a little rough around the edges. Like your slip is showing.

Here's my fix: I just cut my tenon on the upper barrel a little shorter than the directions indicate. That way, it overhangs slightly and covers the coupler. Not a lot shorter ... maybe 1/16 or even less. It works; I'm carrying one today.

To fix one you've already made, you may be able to use a countersinking bit to create a little more space. Or you could go in with a forstner bit or dremel and shave it back.

Olson86

Carl,
That's the pen I'm asking about.
I think you see the problem. But I'm trying to build this with out a metal center band at all.
I would like the wood of the upper barrel to just slightly cover the gap at the transmission.
Thanks to all for your suggestions so far.
I'll try each. I'm still working up to how to post. But will try to get the results up.
Regards, Chuck

ahoiberg

carl, i should have specified that i meant make your own wood centerband. trust me, i have no metal working skills AT ALL. [:D]

cdcarter

Chuck,

In that case, I'd be inclined to use a caliper and make the bottom of the top wide enough to cover the bottom, then use a countersinking bit to countour the insides. Haven't done it, but it should work. Nice thing about countersinking is it's pretty much idiot proof, which I usually need.

Carl

Originally posted by Olson86
<br />Carl,
That's the pen I'm asking about.
I think you see the problem. But I'm trying to build this with out a metal center band at all.
I would like the wood of the upper barrel to just slightly cover the gap at the transmission.
Thanks to all for your suggestions so far.
I'll try each. I'm still working up to how to post. But will try to get the results up.
Regards, Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom