Euro and Americana ??? (new questions!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I started a new batch of pens tonight, and two of the types are the Euro and Americana. I think I got them from BB, and are CSUSA kits.

I learned that it pays to ask before putting a new kit on the lathe, and certainly serves me to ask before assembling!

I think the instructions that came with these are lacking!

So, any tips or tricks you might know that will ease the pain of a new kit would be most appreciated.

STEP 3 says: Cut a 1/8" wide tenon on the end of the short barrel.
Size the tenon so that the center band sizing ring will slide snugly
onto the tenon. When a proper fit is obtained, increase the
width of the tenon to 1/4" (3/16" if using a plain center band).

What if my center band is not the plain centerband? I guess I'll need calipers to figure out which way things go. The center bushing(s) are a puzzle, becaue the slip ring on my set won't fit on the large end, and is pretty sloppy on the small end! I'm guessing the large side of the center bushing is the "top" end, but the slip ring doesn't fit it! Maybe it needs a little 'tweeking' ???

Well, thanks in advance!

[EDIT: Thanks for the responses. I'm working on one of the Americanas, and am wondering if CA is adequate for gluing the CB to the top cap, or is epoxy a better choice? I did a good thing, I checked that the lower tube would fit comfortably in the CB! Maybe you CAN teach an old dog a trick or two! ]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CJ

I have made a couple of Euros from Woodcraft and what you a describe is the same set of bushings.

The center bushing has the slip ring to help you cut a tenon in the top blank to receive the centerband. Put the slip ring on the small end of the center bushing (it will slid around), this is the side that goes toward the short blank which will be the top of the pen.

Cut a tenon on the bottom part of the short blank so the slip ring will fit onto it. The slip ring is just to help you size the tenon to accept the centerband. I use the slip ring as a guide but use calipers also to get the fit right or the centerband can fit sloppy.

Be sure to get a crisp line cut so when the centerband is placed it is snug to the cut line and there is no gap.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

vick

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />I started a new batch of pens tonight, and two of the types are the Euro and Americana. I think I got them from BB, and are CSUSA kits.

I learned that it pays to ask before putting a new kit on the lathe, and certainly serves me to ask before assembling!

I think the instructions that came with these are lacking!

So, any tips or tricks you might know that will ease the pain of a new kit would be most appreciated.

STEP 3 says: Cut a 1/8" wide tenon on the end of the short barrel.
Size the tenon so that the center band sizing ring will slide snugly
onto the tenon. When a proper fit is obtained, increase the
width of the tenon to 1/4" (3/16" if using a plain center band).

What if my center band is not the plain centerband? I guess I'll need calipers to figure out which way things go. The center bushing(s) are a puzzle, becaue the slip ring on my set won't fit on the large end, and is pretty sloppy on the small end! I'm guessing the large side of the center bushing is the "top" end, but the slip ring doesn't fit it! Maybe it needs a little 'tweeking' ???

Well, thanks in advance!
I am speaking only of the American Double twist I have never done the Euro.

This is one of my favorite kits and I have turned a bunchof them. I have ben told that I am long winded, but hopefully I am thurough.

If your center band is not plain than the tendon is 1/4 inch.

The center bushing is the longest of the 3 bushings it is the same diameter as the nib end.
If you are turning it so that the clip end is closest to the head stock and the writing end is closest to the tail stock the short barel will be on your left and the long on your right.
Turn the short barrel so that it is the size of the largest bushing on the one end and a little over the size of the center band sizing ring outside diameter near the center. Do not go to small on the end near the center since the final sizing will be after you cut the tendon. Cut the small tendon near the center until the center sizing band will just slip over it ( it needs to be snug for the sizing of the center band to be perfect) this is usually a tuch bigger than the center bushing. Expand the tendon so that it is 1/4 inch. With sizing ring still over the tendon turn the barrell so the end and the sizing ring meet. If the sizing ring will not stay snug try wrapping a small piece of masking tape over the center bushing to hold the sizing ring snug to the end of the tendon.

warning I have screwed up more American double twistpens on the tendon than I care to admit. Both blowing out cutting the tendon, and having the center band not fit flush with the end. All and all this is a nice kit and was a good seller for me. Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy. Hope this helps.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
When I need to turn tenons as in a euro I finish the pen first,measure and mark where I need to part the tenon.
With the lathe on I use the tip of the skew to "scribe" my cut line and then continue to part off the tenon,
Parting after the finish is applied gives me a cleaner line.

Dario

I never did an American yet but made a lot of Euro's with a tenon....IF you accidentally make the tenon a bit smaller, you can build it back up with CA [;)]. For this reason, I don't finish the pen yet else you may mess it up again.

Using the skew's tip as Eagles's described it then a parting tool is the best for me. At times scribing a line w/ skew may raise the side left of tenon...again another reason I won't finish until after.

One more tip is to do the scribing before you do higher than 600 grit so you can knock off any raised part. DO NOT cut tenon yet until sanding is all done.

Easy on the parting tool during tenon cutting, you don't want to mess up an almost finished pen [:D] [;)]

Good luck!

Rifleman1776

There is some latitude in the width of the tenon. Perzactness ain't all that necessary. I like Euros and do the type, like you, that requires a tenon. After turning the blank to round, the first thing I do is cut the tenon. I use a 1/4" parting tool and, of course, the sliding bushing ring as my guide, the parting tool works as my guide for length of the tenon. It takes only seconds. The plain/not plain center band thing is new to me. I can't see that it should make any difference unless very recent kits have changed.

wayneis

Frank Craft Supply now has some fancy centerbands. I believe that the tenon needs to be 1/4" for the new fancy and 3/16" for the plain. Anyway they are nice and adds an interesting change once in awhile. Occasionally I add the fancy band and also the new owners birthstone in the cap finial, the Ladies really like that touch.

Wayne

MDWine

I tried to salvage a pen I made a month or so ago. I think that the lower barrel is just a tad too large, making the mechanism hard to turn. I may put the bottom barrel back on the lathe to see if that is the case. I think the Flat Top is a nice pen, and would like to make some that work! [:D]

Thanks everyone!

wayneis

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />I tried to salvage a pen I made a month or so ago. I think that the lower barrel is just a tad too large, making the mechanism hard to turn. I may put the bottom barrel back on the lathe to see if that is the case. I think the Flat Top is a nice pen, and would like to make some that work! [:D]

Thanks everyone!

Mike you may just be right because the end of the bottom blank need to fit into the centerband and if it doesn't fit or doesn't turn freely then the blank halves will bind and be hard to turn. Look and test fit the halves together, if they don't fit then take a bit off.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom