Eucalyptus Resin Burl, ?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Is anyone here experienced with ERB? I bought a slab of it and now that I've cut it into pen sized slabs (thickness), I am not quite sure how to use it. Should it be stabilized? Or do most folks use filler for the crevises? It is quite unique and I would hate to waste it. Here's a pic:

20063414525_DSCN2165.jpg

Thank you,
Rob
EDIT: I don't want to try to market it, until I know how to use it properly.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I haven't turned it although I would like to. I would not think it would have to be stabilized being Eucalyptus but I am not sure about the ERB. Can't wait to see a pen!

JimGo

Rob, if you send me your stash, I'll be happy to test it out for you on a few dozen pens and see whether it needs to be stabilized.

thetalbott4

Stabilizing isnt needed and wont do much to hold the resin pockets in either. Best bet is CA the pockets until they wont take anymore and then turn. As you turn it down you will have to fill voids to keep it from coming apart. They are a lot of work, but really cool looking when done.

BigRob777

Thanks to all who posted.

Jim, you are so generous, but some kindhearted soul already offered to help me out and I sent it all to him. Just kidding. Anyway, as it already seems dry, it won't be too awfully long before I put it up (for sale). If I can turn it, anyone can. It will be part of the burl special. I'm still awaiting the return of my stabilizing test, before I can send out a huge order. I won't be stabilizing this stuff, though (thanks to Scott's and others' advise).

I think I'll try some brown mallee and some of this ERB in a couple of pens. If you hear me yelling from your house, just ignore me. This stuff looks like it will get under my skin pretty easily. I'm going to try some bloodwood, mixed with epoxy to fill the holes, when I get the blank round. I think I'll douse it first, to hold the blank together.

Thanks again,
Rob

mick

Rob, you're when ready to sell some of the Eucalyptus Resin Burl keep me in mind. I'd love to see a oen turned out of it!

wudwrkr

Rob,
I sure hope you have me on that list!![:D] You have been teasing us for months now on the big burl special.

Can't wait to see how that ERP looks.

BigRob777

Brian,
Yes you are. I'm not a "serious" treckie, but I do watch the show a lot. In Borg thinking, you are 9 of 12.

Dave,
Oops, you are 13 of 13. I hope it wasn't my oversight, but in case it was, thanks for reminding me. I hope this doesn't get confused with EPR (Ed's Polyresin). ERB gets its first trial with me today, I hope. I have to drill and glue, but will hopefully get to turn it too. I'm really looking forward to playing with the bloodwood filler. Any suggestions as to how to get it to stay in the holes, in a 360 degree barrel?
Rob

BigRob777

Wow, I thought you two guys were already on it, but your are now. That's 15 and Jim, the dynamic trio are all there. I never got a chance to hit my shop today, as our room mate is having friends over for his 20th birthday party. 2 Japanese girls (he's Japanese also). We had a blast. Of course my Okinawa pictures came out, from back in my Marine Corps days. Back when I lived life on the edge and never knew if my next meal would be in a prison camp. Just kidding, I loaded trucks and delivered perishables to Marine bases on the island. Snorkelling was awesome there though. Wow, can I ever go off topic?! Those pain pills are working.

Nuff said. Thanks guys.
Rob

TexasJohn

OK, I can't stand it any longer. GOT TO HAVE SOME! Please add me to the top of the top, top list. That is some great looking wood, and being a woodaholic, I have to have some. PLEASE! Texas John

showtell

I live in Victoria, Australia where this timber comes from. It's called "whitetop" and is from high mountain country near the snow line. I filled the crevices with CA glue before turning the wood and then added CA glue is it got closer to the finished size. It won't break apart as someone else suggested. It makes very organic looking pens. Kim Strode

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I seem to have lost control of my fingers this morning...oh well, before the burl list gets to big and bursts, how about adding my name to your burl bash [:)]

BigRob777

Bill,
In the words of the infamous Jim, from Taxi: "Okeedoke".

I forgot to post this pic, though I put it in "my photos"

2006315165040_DSCN2217.jpg

2006315165113_DSCN2223.jpg
<br />
I'm still learning. CA the blank when you get it mounted, like what was stated earlier, then more when you get 1/2 way, and again, with a filler. I didn't do a great job on this pen, especially with the CB (bloodwood). Photography (especially the flash) wasn't very good either, but my wife loved it, so it's hers now.

Thanks for looking.
Rob

BigRob777

Jim,
She only has 2, like me (pen in a hat made #2 for me). I'll have 4, if I ever get to my pen and pencil "set" of curly koa and spalted oak. Though I don't cherish the thought of selling my "silver and gold have I none" pen.
Rob

M

Mudder

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />
EDIT: I don't want to try to market it, until I know how to use it properly.[:)]

Tell you what..... Send me some and I'll do a tutorial in the correct way to use it. [}:)]

Nice looking stuff. If your making a list and have any left please add my name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom