eucalyptus ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cschimmel

met some guys cutting down a big eucalyptus tree today and was able to get a couple of chucks. I know nothing about it so I am wondering if it is any good for pens or anything else. Thanks for your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I don't know that I've ever seen regular grain Eucalyptus, but there are a lot of beautiful Eucalyptus burls out there and the seem to be pretty stable.

-Barry

ToddMR

I bet that would make an interesting pen. Never seen anyone post a picture of one the couple months I have been turning now.

jclark58

I'm also in the valley and have turned quite a bit. It turns well when green but is known for cracking and warping. When dry it's very hard but finishes well. Can have very nice figure including curl and burl, there are numerous species grown in the valley, any idea which you have?

Jason

Russianwolf

Pretty much every wood from Australia is in the Eucalyptus Family (Mallee, Box, Coolibah, etc.), So its really a big family.

I've even had some spaulted Euc. that was grown in Pennsylvania. The only way to find out how it looks is to turn the piece.

Allenk

The Eucalyptus that I've turned was grown right here in Northwestern Texas. It is beautiful wood, has great grain, and has even made some beautiful pens. Just depends on how you slice it..... :eek:)
I finished a hollowform from some of it today, and will buff it out tomorrow. Don't have time for phototent pics, but could snap a quick shot on the bridge, if you want to see it...

Here it is: 8"D x 5"H x 3/8"T

Attachments

• EucNE 2.jpg
    EucNE 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 80
  • EucNE  1.jpg
    EucNE 1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

ersRFP

There are like 800 species of Eucalyptus. Most all of them are EXTREMELY difficult to dry. I don't mill Euc up unless it has a lot of figure or burl.

This came from one of the best Eucs I milled up.
aaaa1.jpg

aaaa2.jpg

This one before is was dyed stabilized was very white. The is so dense it only picked up the dye in certain areas. It's very striking in person. The pen blanks are just about dry so I'll probably list some for sell soon.
aaa.jpg

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Just be careful, eucalyptus is one of those things that many people are allergic to. My friend was hospitalized from sanding down a eucalyptus walking stick. He didn't know he was allergic to it until this throat started closing up and his tongue started swelling.

If you aren't allergic (or have a good filter) then eucalyptus can be absolutely stunning!

attachment.php

Tazmanian Eucalyptus Burl bowl

Last edited:

Allenk

Just be careful, eucalyptus is one of those things that many people are allergic to.
Tazmanian Eucalyptus Burl bowl

Greg, that is a gorgeous piece of Euc! I have a small piece, about pen sized, with those inclusions in it. It looks like it was cut from your piece of wood. I think it's some kind of resin in the inclusions... wish I could remember what it's called....

I didn't have any ill effects from the piece I just turned... and I love to smell it while I'm turning.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The stuff in the voids in mine was wax. The whole thing had been dipped in wax to keep it from drying out too fast. Dental picks worked great for picking it all out.

Top Bottom