Etsy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

klpeters

Does anyone have any luck selling pens on Etsy , any tips and tricks ,where do most pen builders sell their pens , or do most give them away , I would like to turn this into a retirement project , maybe just enough to cover costs and get me out of the house.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Does anyone have any luck selling pens on Etsy , any tips and tricks ,where do most pen builders sell their pens , or do most give them away , I would like to turn this into a retirement project , maybe just enough to cover costs and get me out of the house.

I give away and donate for community charities. I could turn it into a business but not interested. I set up some consignment pens at a local store years ago. THAT DOES NOT WORK OUT.

However...Sometimes I would give away a pen or stopper ...from there the receiver might want one for family members or gifts. One occasion I had a pen in my shirt pocket while in a jewelry store...sold it and got an order for a few more. I would say let friends & neighbors know what you are doing/selling. Keep a few on hand, Don't underprice them.

Last edited:
On the internet, pictures sell. Plan on picking up some amateur photography as a hobby as well if you want to sell pens. :wink:

I've been turning for a decade or so but this past year was the first year I made an actual go of selling them. From about May through December I've got 180ish sales on Etsy. My pens are priced a bit lower than some of the guys that do this more for a "for profit" enterprise but I've slowly raised that price up as I've become comfortable asking what my pens are worth and built up and inventory that's mostly paid for through pen blank sales.

Woodchipper

I set up some consignment pens at a local store years ago. THAT DOES NOT WORK OUT.
Interesting as I was about to try that. Planning on pens and some odds and ends of turnings. The store charges $25 a month for a secure display counter. It is in a high volume outlet mall with lots of traffic. Thought I would try it for maybe three months and see what happens. Opinions from the forum?????

Ripper70

I set up some consignment pens at a local store years ago. THAT DOES NOT WORK OUT.
Interesting as I was about to try that. Planning on pens and some odds and ends of turnings. The store charges $25 a month for a secure display counter. It is in a high volume outlet mall with lots of traffic. Thought I would try it for maybe three months and see what happens. Opinions from the forum?????

If you were able to sell just one pen per month, seems like the $25 dollar monthly fee would easily pay for itself. I say, try it. You've go very little to lose and much to gain in being able to gauge how your work will be received.

JimB

I've sold on consignment and have been happy with the results. It was years ago as I don't sell pens any more. Just like any other type of selling your success depends on many things. You find people who like Etsy, their own website, consignment etc. You will also find people who don't like Etsy, their own website, consignment etc. It will all depend on you, what you are good at and the place you are selling through along with the quality of your pens. Give it a try!

WriteON

Regardless of my comment about consignment not working out..... experiment and try for yourself. One reason why they did not sell was the price. The pens were (fairly) priced to make money. My I suggest having a variety.... Pens, stoppers, letter openers, etc. Make your display interesting.

edit. I had an 8 pen stand on display at a local jewelry/variety store for a year. I went to get my pens back...the store's lease was not being renewed by the landlord. I got my pens back but the presentation cases got lost.

Last edited:

fernhills

I sell off and on at Etsy. It also helps you sell almost any thing, wood jewelry, boxes, shaving brushes, anything that is woodworking related. Of course everybody else has the same thoughts. It is really crowded, tons and tons of people selling. But I like it. Carl

coffeeslug

I got an order on Etsy last week for 13 pens at $74.95 each from a lady that bought one pen at Christmas time. Sold 86 pens on Etsy last year, so yeah, I like Etsy. :)

Nice site! If you don't mind me asking, Where did you get your pen display/s? Specifically, the one that has the "male" end that holds the pen cap and the one that has the round inset for the body.

mecompco

I got an order on Etsy last week for 13 pens at $74.95 each from a lady that bought one pen at Christmas time. Sold 86 pens on Etsy last year, so yeah, I like Etsy. :)

Nice site! If you don't mind me asking, Where did you get your pen display/s? Specifically, the one that has the "male" end that holds the pen cap and the one that has the round inset for the body.

Thanks, though I'm way behind in re-stocking from the holidays--I like to have at least 100 items in inventory. I try to have "something for everyone"

The acrylic display for capped pens is from www.exoticblanks.com.

Marko50

Etsy = Money in the bank

IMHO, you can't go wrong with Etsy. I sell a lot of pen blanks and pens on Etsy, but I also have an independent website that does almost as well. My asking prices are worth the work I put into them!:cool:

Most folks who sell pens on Etsy slit their own throats by under-selling themselves. Ask what your pen is really worth. Add in your time, the cost of the kit and blank materials as well as the time it takes you to maintain your store. Some Etsy pen sellers do, but most don't.

The day I started charging more for my work is the day I started selling more pens than I could barely keep up with! I believe the perception among Etsy buyers out there is; Cheap price = a cheap, crappy pen. Moderate price = a moderate decent pen. Expensive price = a top of the line, well made, excellent pen. The choice is yours.

Folks who shop on Etsy are looking for unique, one of a kind, high quality hand made items. For the most part, they have no qualms about spending money on good stuff! Your pricing structure should reflect your pride in your work!

... Just my .02¢ worth

fernhills

IMHO, you can't go wrong with Etsy. I sell a lot of pen blanks and pens on Etsy, but I also have an independent website that does almost as well. My asking prices are worth the work I put into them!:cool:

Most folks who sell pens on Etsy slit their own throats by under-selling themselves. Ask what your pen is really worth. Add in your time, the cost of the kit and blank materials as well as the time it takes you to maintain your store. Some Etsy pen sellers do, but most don't.

The day I started charging more for my work is the day I started selling more pens than I could barely keep up with! I believe the perception among Etsy buyers out there is; Cheap price = a cheap, crappy pen. Moderate price = a moderate decent pen. Expensive price = a top of the line, well made, excellent pen. The choice is yours.

Folks who shop on Etsy are looking for unique, one of a kind, high quality hand made items. For the most part, they have no qualms about spending money on good stuff! Your pricing structure should reflect your pride in your work!

... Just my .02¢ worth
Nice work, I am indeed impressed with yous site.

Wright

I sold on Etsy for couple years with fairly good suggest. I sell at a gallery now, don't have to worry about mailing now. Guess I'm getting lazy lol.

mmayo

I'm happy for Mike for his Etsy sales, for me it was a bust. Good news it convinced me to try a coop near me open 361+ days a year. Final talley on December was $1,530 with no shipping. Whatever works for you is right, but try a couple of methods before selling your lathe.

My goal this year is more quality craft shows in addition to the Gallery (coop).

pshrynk

Nice site! I just looked at your circuit board pens. I ordered a blank and am planning on using it on a Steam Punk kit. Probably a cliché already, but I wanted it for my own personal pen. So thanks for the piccies so I can get an idea what they look like in the wild.

mecompco

Nice site! I just looked at your circuit board pens. I ordered a blank and am planning on using it on a Steam Punk kit. Probably a cliché already, but I wanted it for my own personal pen. So thanks for the piccies so I can get an idea what they look like in the wild.

You're welcome. The circuit board pens sell well for me, especially the Cigars.

Top Bottom