Error in Judgement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just finished a couple pens called Pacifica Poker 2-tone pens. These are the ones with the poker motif and have those little enamel symbols on them. Well I did today something I do with all my pens and that is wipe them down with Renaissance wax as the last detail. Well it seems whatever is in ther is a good paint remover also. It took the color red off some of the heart symbols.

My question is, has this happened to others and what is the fix??? If you say paint them, then what is a good permanent paint. Looks like something I will have to warn customers about. Thanks for the replys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John,

I agree with Ruth that the paint should not have been removed by Ren Wax. Ren wax is petroleum based, which is why it happened, but still the paint should have been of better quality.

UKpenmaker

I wonder if it is the Renwax or whether any type of wax will do the same on this kit. The reason i say this is i thought that one of the things Renwax was developed for. Was to use on paintings, and is used for this purpose by the British museum.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Back in late 2005 I contacted the British Museum for their official statement on Renaissance Wax. Here is the response.

Dear Mr Metcalf,

My apologies for taking some time to reply to your enquiry regarding Picreator Enterprises' 'Renaissance Wax', I have been making some enquiries amongst my colleagues in Conservation here at the Museum. This product is indeed used in the Department on certain materials and types of object. It is not employed very frequently and is used very sparingly, but it has some applications under certain circumstances and has been applied to various types of historical metalwork (such as arms and armour), some types of wood and leather and some types of stone.

The product's connection with the British Museum seems to originate in the early seventies. It is mentioned as a footnote to an appendix describing recipes for microcrystalline polishing waxes in 'The Conservation of Antiquities and Works of Art' (2nd ed.), by Plenderleith and Werner (former Keepers of the British Museum Research Laboratory), Oxford University Press, London, 1971.

Yours sincerely,

Marilyn Hockey

Head of Ceramics, Glass and Metals Section (temp.)
Dept. of Conservation, Documentation and Science
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London
WC1B 3DG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)20 7323 8344
Fax: +44 (0)20 7323 8636

jttheclockman

Either do I. That is why I am thinking there is a solvent in there or some kind of product that will remove paint.

Pen Maker

:confused: I don't see any mention of paintings in Lou's email?

Lou sent that note back when he was working on the Invisible Man Salve, The OSI edited his post to keep him in compliance with the Offical Secrets Act. Thanks for Your understanding in this matter.

Tn-Steve

That is truly an elegent and "oh-so-proper" e-mail if every I read one. You can even hear the English accent come across. I love the fact that they pointed out that "It is mentioned as a footnote to an appendix "

On the other hand, I'm like everybody else, surprised that it could remove paint. I'm not familar with that kit, are the shapes recessed into the metal, and if so, is it possible that there is simply a buildup of finish there that a toothpick type object could remove?

Steve

Woodlvr

I just finished one an hour ago and I used TSW and mine turned out ok. Email Constant and see if he can help. When I was sanding my first Sierra blank of this type half of the spade fell out and he was great and helped me out. Great customer service.

jttheclockman

This is not a lazer kit. This is a kit from Wooden Pen Pro. Here is a picture of one of the pens with this problem. If you look the heart between the club and the spade should be red. It was before I polished it. I know this because I had problems with these kits prior to this and sent back some 2 weeks ago because of tranny problems and also the hole where the ink refill protrudes was not drilled large enough. Jim is fixing these but between their move and getting orders out it has taken some time. I checked my remaining kits before I sent the bad ones back to make sure the rest were good and they were. Not sure what I should do. It was clearly from waxing it.

pokerpenproblem.jpg

Rudy Vey

This is not a lazer kit. This is a kit from Wooden Pen Pro. Here is a picture of one of the pens with this problem. If you look the heart between the club and the spade should be red. It was before I polished it. I know this because I had problems with these kits prior to this and sent back some 2 weeks ago because of tranny problems and also the hole where the ink refill protrudes was not drilled large enough. Jim is fixing these but between their move and getting orders out it has taken some time. I checked my remaining kits before I sent the bad ones back to make sure the rest were good and they were. Not sure what I should do. It was clearly from waxing it.

pokerpenproblem.jpg

Thats pretty bad. You had a alot of problems with these kits. I would not expect the wax to remove the red paint, and why didn't it attack the black paint - and what happened to the other red color, the Diamond??
I bought some of the turtle motive kits, and although I like the look of the turtle, the quality of the kits is way below other suppliers kits. The black Ti seems to be very thin, and scratches easy - some kits arrived with scratches already. Also, there are quite some sharp edges, especially the top cap in the finial. We decided we cannot sell pens made with these kits for money to customers, so I give them as freebies to friends and fmiliy. I am sticking with the original Sierra from Berea, never had any problem with this kit (and I sold many of these).

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Yes Rudy I have had nothing but problems with these kits and will not be buying any more. I guess I will call the owner Monday and see what he has to say. The wax only took off that one red heart on this pen. It took off a red heart on the barrel side of another pen. I probably can disassemble and use the 2 good halves and maybe experiment with the others if he will not replace it. Haven't had the pens long enough to see about the Ti plating.

bitshird

Boy am I glad I read this post, I was going to order some of the fishers of men kits for some BOW I've got coming, Guess I'll put that on hold, I really can't understand renwax lifting or disolving a decent quality paint, nice to hear about the plantings and sharp edges as well.

jttheclockman

I just got an email from Jim at Wooden Pen Pro and he said he will pass the concerns on to the manufactorers. I am sending this one back also and he has no problem with that. I have the Fishers of Men pen and have put the BOW on them and they are a nice kit. Had no problems with them. That is the first I heard of the plating thing from Rudy on them. I can not tell the difference.

Top Bottom