Epoxy turning to "goo"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I have always used a two part epoxy to glue in my brass tubes. My tube of resin has turned from a thick resin to a MUCH thicker "GOO". The tube of harderner is fine. Now I know that it must be getting old (2 years old). I have never let it freeze. I always keep it stored in the house. I know that everyone here is just going to say to throw it out and buy new and in most cases I would agree but right now...this moment... it is cold, raining and I want to make something tonight and driving somewhere to get more right now is out of the question. So....does anyone have any real experience with epoxy that has started to thicken. Can it still be used? I mixed a little of it and the set time is very short but my guess is that it should still be OK for simply holding a brass tube in a block of wood.......ya think??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have used various brands of epoxy that was aging, right up to the point it was just too thick to get out of the bottle. No failures. It will thicken and set more quickly. Go for it, and buy more another day!

ctubbs

If the resin is in a non metal container, 30 sec or so in the Microwave should cure the thick problem. YMMV
Charles

pensbydesign

my shop gets cold during the winter and the epoxy gets very thick, i put it over the heat vent for a wile and it thins out and works fine.

hdtran

If the resin is in a non metal container, 30 sec or so in the Microwave should cure the thick problem. YMMV
Charles

Just a word of friendly warning:

Warm epoxy will set up faster than cold epoxy, so your working time may be reduced. If you have 15-minute epoxy, that's probably not a big deal. If you have 5 minute, that may be cutting things close if you don't have all your stuff laid out in advance.

Best,

hdt

ctubbs

Charles

Just a word of friendly warning:

Warm epoxy will set up faster than cold epoxy, so your working time may be reduced. If you have 15-minute epoxy, that's probably not a big deal. If you have 5 minute, that may be cutting things close if you don't have all your stuff laid out in advance.

Best,

hdt

OOPS. I forgot to mention that little bit,:redface: thank you for bringing it out. VERY IMPORTANT!
Charles

Top Bottom