Epoxy question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I had a tube partially slide out during glue up with epoxy and did not notice it until too late. I have it soaking in acetone to try to dissolve the epoxy. What is the best solvent for epoxy. I thought about trying denatured alcohol.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dtswebb

I'm not too sure that any chemical you'd be likely to obtain will do the trick. Some of the epoxies we use are fairly immune to solvents - MEK, toluene, xylene, TCE, perc, etc.

I do remember a posting here where heat was recommended for "breaking" the epoxy bond.

Cwalker935

Its a m3 mokume blank, I don't know if it will handle heat or not. I have an extra tube so I might just drill it out.

KenV

If cut and splice works, that is probably the easiest. Heated epoxy softens to taffey consistency and can be sloooooowlllyyyyy pulled out.

Heat in boiling water and use pliers.

Cwalker935

Cody, M3 is pretty opaque. What if you tried cutting off the bit tube that is sticking out with your band saw.... And then on the other end, glue in a short section of tubing so that the two sections abut inside the tube hole?

I drilled it out before i saw your post. Cut and splice would have worked. I was able to drill it out and use my extra tube. Thanks for the suggestions.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My wife (the chemist) says... u're screwed! Drill it or cut it, but not a good bet to soften it to pull it out... She agrees with dtsweeb, except for the heat, she's not too keen on that also. Actually, she's not too keen on much today :eek:

But... Ice cream will be ava in 15 min :)

farmer

heat

Its a m3 mokume blank, I don't know if it will handle heat or not. I have an extra tube so I might just drill it out.

Have to heat epoxy to at least 225 degrees F to make the epoxy soften up.
once it cools it will be struck again.

Top Bottom